Couple of Fish's From The Last Week

Tom156

It’s been a while since posts but with a break in the weather and work the opportunity was taken to get amongst some fish. Kingfish have been the main capture as of late as they have become a bit more frequent which has been awesome fun as these fish fight hard and run fast.

Last Wednesday I took a mate offshore who frankly doesn't do much fishing so my goal was to get him onto some good fish and we did that with Marcus getting a nice Mack Tuna which gave him some curry and a nice Kingy from the rocks.

post-12149-144598992849_thumb.jpg

While we were drifting along some rocks I punched a cast out into the wash and let the plastic sit, after not paying attention for a bit the rod loaded up and line peeled off the reel. I wasn't hopeful of landing this fish when I hooked it as I was running 30lb line and leader, with the heavy current and swell it was going to be touch and go but with some fancy boat work, driving away from the fish to attempt to pull it out of the current and then dropping nearly 200m of line 100 of which was from the fish taking a savage run (I was using my finger to apply pressure to the spool and had to take it off due to the heat and speed the spool was spinning at). We quickly reversed back on the fish to get some line back which was a good move and after getting nearly 140m back on the spool the fish was found sitting on the surface and after a couple more dives for the bottom a very good Kingfish was landed and after some pictures it was speared back in to fight another day.

post-12149-144598992857_thumb.jpg

We headed north after this and the weather was pretty crap so hitting a marker quickly to try and have a bit of fun before we headed home was a good idea as we managed to get a couple of Mahi Mahi which was awesome fun as the leapt out of the water to try and free themselves. We got a double hook-up which was cool and after pulling a few fish from the school they shut down and it was time to head back while the weather was manageable.

Sunday we went out again and Jack got into a nice Snapper straight away, I sounded some nice fish on the bottom but persisted with surface. Things went crazy after this as Kings were smashing bait off the top from everywhere. I had one smack my Carpenter Gamma without hooking up but Dad got hammered by one on top which put up a sick fight. The trusty FCL TS 180 has been really smacking some good fish for Dad lately and he doesn't use much else when throwing surface lures around.

post-12149-144598992868_thumb.jpg

I grabbed my plastics outfit and tossed a cast in the general area of where the Kings were busting up and was hammered by a good fish which took some line very quickly and after a quick fight a nice specimen was landed.

post-12149-144598992878_thumb.jpg

The Kings shy’d off the surface and we moved on but things got very tough after this and we struggled to find anything decent for the rest of the day until we came back to the spot where we found the kings that morning. Everyone was about ready to go home, Jack had packed his plastics rod up and I tossed my little plastic out and got spanked on the drop with the bail arm still open, a nice snapper was the culprit and he was kept for dinner.

Jack grabbed my heavier plastics outfit and had a cast and got absolutely dealted to and after re-tying the same thing happened again, he had no chance both times with both fish hooking up running for less than 5 seconds and rubbing him off on the bottom. We suspected these were some good Kingfish similar to the ones in the morning but because they were so close to the bottom they really had the advantage over Jack.

Monday

Monday morning I took Brett out for a fish, we left nice and early and was met with a stiff wind which made for a rubbish trip through the bay. I was hoping to get into the Kings again but with all this wind the water had dirtied up a little and shut the fish down. The morning was very slow and we went from spot to spot marking fish but really struggling to get them to bite. We went to another spot and fished an edge that looked very promising. Brett raised a large fish on surface that would have stretch 20Kg. He also hooked two Kingfish on surface that managed to free themselves and the same happened to me but with a plastic. The King sat under the boat shaking its head until it threw the hook... But tossing the plastic back down I was rewarded with a little Jobfish and then a larger one. We heard a scattering of bait fleeing across the surface and Brett tossed a cast into the school and the lure was quickly hammered by a good Rainbow Runner which made for a good account for itself.

post-12149-144598992888_thumb.jpg

We then made a move but after a couple of hours it was looking quite miserable so we went to the headland to cast in the shallows and this turned out to be a god idea. I had a follow from a Kingfish on surface but it turned away close to the boat. Brett got two little GT's on plastics which put up a good fight in shallow water with sharp rocks all over.

post-12149-144598992899_thumb.jpg

We made the decision to head home hitting a few other spots on the way but these proved fruitless... We did run into Brett's old friend, the whales have become less frequent lately so I think they are beginning to move on so that's a good thing as they have been a bit of a pest of late.

post-12149-144598992909_thumb.jpg

I should be heading up to Fraser Island next week to have a crack at some good fish but see how we go.

Tom

More Pictures on my Blog - http://tomsfishingblog.com/2013/09/25/couple-of-fishs/

Archived