Boat advice needed !!

chubbstar

I'm still not real sure what to look for when looking at a potentual new boat. I had a look at a 1998 4m Sea jay punt this morning, It was a very neat looking unit it had fresh paint (which I see as a warning sign, What are they trying too cover etc?), 2000 model 25hp yammy, 54lb? sea snake with remote, new carpet, All new wireing, hummingbird 170 sounder, Sealed bettery(home charge after use) new trailer lights etc. It's just had a major service and the motor is in great nick.

As I said it was neat as a pin, painted inside and out, I looked under the hull for splits,welds, dents and dings. I found nothing. Then I looked inside and spotted some cracked welds around the front seat and the front rib.

I can get it for $4,500

Look at the pics and tell me what you think about the cracks. Should I run away at a 100mph??:huh:

Corner of the front seat where it meets the hull

08102008105.jpg

08102008106.jpg

This is the front floor ribbing.

08102008108.jpg

other side

08102008109.jpg

The full front rib

08102008110.jpg

What would cause this to crack:huh: I like the boat but I think it's had a hard life and they have tricked her up for sale. I'm buggerd if I know what I'm going to do, I need a friggen boat so bad:blush: But not that friggen bad that I'm going to buy a lemon;) :P :laugh:

Thanks in advance.

Jayson

I wouldnt buy it, Others might but if i was buying a 2nd hand boat i want it to be in very good condition, Im no expert on welding etc but if theirs 1 crack weld now it could be a sign of things to come. This might be out of your price range but Somebody put up a post about a 3.95 metre stacer seasprite (deep v)with a 30 mercury on a dunbier trailer driveaway for $5995. Obviously no electric, floors or sounder but a brand new bmt.

Most welders will charge $100 to pick up their tools so wouldnt be too expensive but a good talking down point to the seller as you can point out that it will need a repaint after welding.

What has it been repainted with? Supercheap $2 a can enamel or a professional job?

The cracks probably from punching it into rough chop so if you look after it and drive gently should not reoccur.

What type of yammy?

2 cyl 25n 395cc

or 25v or b The v or b motor 496cc .

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Ray

chubbstar,

mate don`t rush into buying an outfit,if you hang out for a bit longer something will come up for you in that price range,that won`t require repairs.Just to give you an idea of price comparing,Coorparoo Marine[QFM OCTOBER ISSUE page 47]has a savage 3.8,30hp package going for5,990.new.I know you want about 4metres,but compare 5990 new with 4,500 used &maybe abused.Chubbs I`d want a bloody good second hand package for 4,500,some thing I could hook up and put in the water straight off and not worry about or regret very quicklycheers

Are the cracks around the area he has had the battery sitting? I'd back Ray's estimate of hitting it into waves, fixing the welds and moving the battery to somewhere else will probably stop it re-occuring.

If your still keen on it use it to knock down the price a few hundred.

chubbstar wrote:

I'm still not real sure what to look for when looking at a potentual new boat. I had a look at a 1998 4m Sea jay punt this morning, It was a very neat looking unit it had fresh paint (which I see as a warning sign, What are they trying too cover etc?), 2000 model 25hp yammy, 54lb? sea snake with remote, new carpet, All new wireing, hummingbird 170 sounder, Sealed bettery(home charge after use) new trailer lights etc. It's just had a major service and the motor is in great nick.

As I said it was neat as a pin, painted inside and out, I looked under the hull for splits,welds, dents and dings. I found nothing. Then I looked inside and spotted some cracked welds around the front seat and the front rib.

I can get it for $4,500

Look at the pics and tell me what you think about the cracks. Should I run away at a 100mph??:huh:

Corner of the front seat where it meets the hull

08102008105.jpg

08102008106.jpg

This is the front floor ribbing.

08102008108.jpg

other side

08102008109.jpg

The full front rib

08102008110.jpg

What would cause this to crack:huh: I like the boat but I think it's had a hard life and they have tricked her up for sale. I'm buggerd if I know what I'm going to do, I need a friggen boat so bad:blush: But not that friggen bad that I'm going to buy a lemon;) :P :laugh:

Thanks in advance.

Jayson

hey chubbs, the cracks, i would think are from choppy waters and being a flatISH bottom boat = a bit of banging, seajays are pretty well built like the out house, bloody strong.if the whole rig has had a referb, i'd be sus on it, as a well looked after rig should look like just that, well looked after, even if it's 10 year old, that boat i had the other night was 11 year old, the whole lot. did you ring that fella up at all

Chubbstar i have just had a squiz at trading post and found this, Looks like a beauty especially if its true about brand new, The 15hp Bombardier Johnsons are pretty good so i've heard.
/>http://www.tradingpost.com.au/Marine/Power/Power-Boats/AdNumber=8250533?BackToResult=true

chubbstar wrote:

I think I'll give it a miss, theres just something not quite right about it. The alarm bells are ringing;) Thanks fellah's

Rob the dude has sold his boat:(

Jayson

probs for the best jas,i'm home most days, and had a few tinnies, if ya want a hand.. 0402 450 783..

Chubby

I'm with the the others.. Sure you can have the cracked welds re worked, but I'd bet my lefty that there are several seriously fatigued ribs elsewhere that are not too far from giving up the ghost.

The Seajays are solid boats dont get me wrong..

I'd ring around a few alloy welders and get an idea what the damage would be and go and hit the vendor up for a price reduction. Consider this though the front of the boat will be more likely to cop a pounding than the rear. Like the others its probably the battery that doing the damage so bulk the battery stand up or relocate it.

PS hows the head of the motor look ???? it wasnt re sprayed as well? if so cut it loose.

imnot a fan of any welding of cracks in aluminium boats,the heat from the weld seems to fatigue the aluminium around it the welds i had done on my old boat all cracked next to the weld some welds had been done a few times before i even bought the boat i ended up using quick steel and had no problems sfter that, looking at some of the welds in those pics they dont look like they were professionally done just my opinion :)

Bill07 wrote:

imnot a fan of any welding of cracks in aluminium boats,the heat from the weld seems to fatigue the aluminium around it the welds i had done on my old boat all cracked next to the weld some welds had been done a few times before i even bought the boat i ended up using quick steel and had no problems sfter that, looking at some of the welds in those pics they dont look like they were professionally done just my opinion :)

bill that is caused by 2 things,

1, weld being too hot ,if you have your voltage set correctly for the thickness of the ally it wont happen.

2, the oxidisation on the surface of the alluminium has not been removed before welding as it has a higher melting point than the metal

Archived