Norman Creek Mouth

Smiderman

Hi all

Has anyone fished the mouth of the norman creek with any sucess?

I did a bit of fishing off the western bank about 12 months back and caught the obligatory bream cod and a small blue salmon nothing photo worthy though.

Casting further into the bris river though generally resulted in a snag it seems as though there is a rock ledge there or something?

The mouth is just downstream from Mowbray Park at East Brisbane. Across the river from Merthyr Park.

If you come off the Story Bridge heading to the southside and veer around to the left onto Shafston Avenue then when the road takes a fairly tight left bend a couple of KMs along. About 200 metres along you go over a bridge (that you may not notice) that's Norman Crk

http://maps.google.com.au/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Mowbray+Park,+East+Brisbane&ie=UTF8&ll=-27.477969,153.045623&spn=0.006539,0.010654&z=17&iwloc=A

I find the Mouth o' Norman a good place for regular bream fishing, you can get some stonkers just off the drop. Ive caught my one and only jew from there, and got smashed twice there after as well. Fishing from the mouth, down to the bridge seems most effective bream (thats also where my jewie was caught and where ive been nailed). At the mouth, around the centre of the mouth itself theres some serious snags so watch out there. No rocks, look(depthsounder) more like old concrete blocks and possibly steel cable coming out(like under the gateway bridge).

I must admit i havent had as much success there since theyve done up the park and built the retaining wall. Esp in the creek before the bridge, they have changed the depth etc with debri.

uglyfish wrote:

jakhunta wrote:
wow i didnt no that you could catch blue salmon in bris. thats awsome. has anyone else caught one in the river?

never heard of blueys being caught here,but threadies are here mate anythings possible i guess..wouldnt be as plentyfull as up home if they were here..

Trust me it was definately a little bluey

Ash wrote:

I find the Mouth o' Norman a good place for regular bream fishing, you can get some stonkers just off the drop. Ive caught my one and only jew from there, and got smashed twice there after as well. Fishing from the mouth, down to the bridge seems most effective bream (thats also where my jewie was caught and where ive been nailed). At the mouth, around the centre of the mouth itself theres some serious snags so watch out there. No rocks, look(depthsounder) more like old concrete blocks and possibly steel cable coming out(like under the gateway bridge).

I must admit i havent had as much success there since theyve done up the park and built the retaining wall. Esp in the creek before the bridge, they have changed the depth etc with debri.

thats a pisser it really looks like it has potential

It did have, and the work at the park and rock edge stopped a while ago, maybe a year and i last went there not too long after they stopped. Now could be a different story. The drop off should still be good for bullies etc come summer, and im sure the bream etc would have come back by now. Worth a shot anyway

threadybuster wrote:

Smiderman wrote:
uglyfish wrote:
jakhunta wrote:
wow i didnt no that you could catch blue salmon in bris. thats awsome. has anyone else caught one in the river?

never heard of blueys being caught here,but threadies are here mate anythings possible i guess..wouldnt be as plentyfull as up home if they were here..

Trust me it was definately a little bluey

it would of been a baby threadfin, they look alot like blues at that size.

Ok I'm happy with that it was only about a foot long I stand corrected

Funny thing is a few years ago we were saying to people that those small threadies are most likely just big catties!:laugh:

If the threadie has come south, and in such big numbers, why not the blue? From what ive read they live in the same areas and waterways dont they.

Just wish the bloody barra would hurry up!:silly:

Archived