sand pumping jetty

paul10

Ok, I've heard a bit about the sand pumping jetty and reckon it could be worth a try.

The next weekend I get off is the 25th & 26th October and am going to take my kids for a spot of whiting fishing I hope.

Questions I have are:

What time would be good for those days?

Where can I buy some worms on the way down there.

All advice is greatly appreciated.:)

Thanks...Paul

The sand pumping jetty is more of a fish factory than fishing. The best way to fish it is with bait jigs with bits of peeled prawns on the hooks and a big sinker on the bottom. There's heaps of dart and small travelly caught there, along with tailor and sharks at the right times, plus other fish that might happen to come along.

If it's a busy day it's shoulder to shoulder and you see a lot of distasteful fishing behaviour there ( keeping undersize fish etc ).

paul10 wrote:

Ok. Any thoughts on good area for whiting then down there. Like I tell the missus all the time size doesn't matter:laugh:

i'm just looking to give the kids a bit of fun as they have not really caught much before.

the Southport area has a stack of little Bays, Sand Spits, Weed/Mud beds etc

You can catch Whiting over any of the Yabbie Banks from Runaway Bay to the Sundale Bridge oround to Marine Stadium ( SeaWorld )

Grab yourself a Yabbie Pump and the kids will love pumping Yabbies

Like I said any sandy spot will do, depending on Wind direction.

I have caught some decent Whiting, my wife was using Yabbies and I was using Poppers in a spot just South of the Seaworld car Park.

Its a gutter between the band and a sand bar

Thanks anyway flatty_catcher. I like to listen to everyone's point of view no matter if they think the information they provide is not much.

Thanks ellicat I have added that thread to my favourites but it seemed to be more for the boaties out there.

I have never fished down the coast before but it sounds a good spot for kids to have a go.

There's a spot at Hollywell (spelling ?) that had always produced some good whiting for me. Haven't been for quite a few years, but it was just in the residential area on the esplanade. Houses one side, grassy parkland the other, rockwall and little sandie beach. Similar to parts of Golden Beach at Caloundra

Is that near the bridge to ephraim island? I had a look in the refidex and found the park on the esplanade but no rockwall in that area though.

I have a feeling that most fishing is about being in the right place at the right time. It's just a matter of trying all the places and seeing what turns up. Is that about right?

Thanks Kiwifisho, i will have to give the sand pumping jetty a go some time I think. Maybe without the kids.

I had a look on Google earth at the spot ellicat was talking about and it looks like a great spot with playground for when the kids get bored, small beaches even a jetty or two.

Only problem my old ute might not be allowed around there it seems to be a bit of an exclusive area.:laugh:

Paul

Was there one night with Planetfonz and also was shoulder to shoulder. Saw 2 guys hook the same fish.. ( i think one hooked the fish and cus of so many lines another guys hook hit the line and worked it way back down to the fish). Thought i was going to c a knife fight over whose fish it was. B) some crazy folk out that way.

Paul

You can buy live worms and yabbies from the tackle shop right on the main road that runs along the broadwater, just before Australia fair shopping centre.Its on the broadwater side,left.All along main beach ,narrowneck,spit area people will be fishing from the beach,lots of car parks opposite seaworld towards the spit you can park close to the beach.

Tight lines

Bri.

Myself and a couple of other AFOers went to the SPJ a few months ago and witnessed some interesting goings on.

One big Aussie fella about 6'10" (and that was across the shoulders...true) was casting out his surf rod from one side of the jetty and on the back swing he hooked up a little Japanese fellas rod and cast it over the side onto the pipe:woohoo: :laugh: :laugh:

Fortunately it was fairly easily retrieved. Then the little fella was carrying on in broken English that the big guy would have to replace his rod or reel as it was broken (which it wasn't...maybe a little scratched). The big guy didn't say anything, he just beckoned the little fella over with a casual wave of his hand.:unsure: :pinch:

Needless to say that didn't happen and all was quiet and they went back to fishing. :whistle:

It was like a scene from Croc Dundee:laugh:

Archived