Cheap eBay gear

Has anybody bought any cheap rods and reels off ebay?

The price is good but I am assuming poor quality so just wanted to see if anyone has had any experience with it.

EG:
/>http://cgi.ebay.com.au/NEW-BLACK-LD9000-CARBON-Ed-8-SS-BB-OVERHEAD-GAME-REEL_W0QQitemZ130263858206QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item130263858206&_trkparms=39:1|66:2|65:1|240:1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

/>http://cgi.ebay.com.au/PELAGIC-CUSTOM-FULLY-ROLLERED-GAME-FISHING-ROD-56-24kg_W0QQitemZ330281015263QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item330281015263&_trkparms=39:1|66:2|65:1|240:1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Hey, Unfortunately I don't think the examples you put up are coming out properly. I can't see them. I've bought some cheap ebay stuff like some braid to try, and a mate of mine has a rod off ebay. I assume you are talking about the ebay brands like the saratoga/meluka stuff? If so I don't think they are worth it. They are ok, but because of the cheaper materials they don't feel as nice and don't last as long. I probably wouldn't mind getting a cheap rod as there are no moving parts and some of the action on cheap rods are really good, but as for reels I would say its better to save and get a more expensive reel.

I started off on cheap gear at first thinking the expensive stuff was all hogwash. now I would prefer one good reel rather than 3 cheap ones. they just fish better and last longer. Whats your budget by the way?

myself, nitris and another mate all bought cheapie overheads and suitable rods, for over 15kg trolling.. it was for a whitsundays trip, not only did they survive us treating them like crap, and in general having fun with them.. they are now our shark rods with the same line ( also ebay stuff ) and are all in perfect working order.. 4 of them even did a second trip to the whitsundays...good reels for the small amount i paid.. buy up, if they break replace it :D

tacklemania ... they are disgustingly exxy with some of their stuff .. like their current abu garcia 6000, for a nice 171 bucks! which i spit on *spittoey* fools they are.. so it was worth me waiting until the very end of auctions finishing at weird times and snaking it..

*edit* i will say tho they delivered very swiftly

*edit 2 * braid came from here http://myworld.ebay.com.au/premium-fishing-auctions/

Rods are hit and miss, I've got some good ones and some horrors, but then again I have not paid over $15 delivered for one either!

Spinning Reels, anything with lots of ball bearings seems pretty good. I've bought more than a dozen of them and no problems at all except for a roller bearing on one for the line spindle on the bail arm which got noisy after about 6 months. Pulled it off and looked like it had never been greased. I greased it and apart from some noise, its just fine. I've never cleaned them, never serviced them. All still going fine. (And yes these do get used in salt as well as fresh)

here we go - the reels we got are all similar to this

[ebay]130264075370[/ebay]

this is a good example, 99c with no bids, finishes at a weirdo time (11pm-sh on a saturday night) so theres a good chance it won't get a high price..

rods were like this.. [ebay]170273844516[/ebay]

not sure if i'd go lighter gear in an el cheapo way... i will say however that their 8 and 9 foot nibble tip rods are excellent for the price

ebay seems to be having troubles

I think my good rods might have come from tacklemania as well. Just dropped in to the local tackle shop on the way back from Burpengary creek, (On Uhlman Road, cant remember their name) they are selling out 6 foot 4-8 kilo surecatch baitcasters for $20 each. Very light for a cheap rod, Picked up one for Alex, so he can use a baitcaster for cod and sharks.

They have a few medium and heavy spinning rods for sale as well. ($15 to $40) Also got myself a Roosta Pooer for Baroon tomorrow as well. Had not seen them before, thought they were much bigger, thats what I had not gone looking for them, because they are nice looking popper!

Archived