Marine Stereo Installation

goat_man_baa

Just got myself a marine stereo for the boat and now comes the fun part of wiring it all up. The way i'm reading the wiring diagram,

Black = ground, so i connect this straight to the negative terminal of the battery.

Red = 12v switched, so i connect this to the positive terminal via a switch.

Yellow = 12v constant, since this is for memory of stations not really an issue as extended connection will drain battery so leave unconnected.

Is this correct or is there some other trick to properly ground the stereo and/or do both the red and yellow need to be connected to provide enough power to the unit?

What they use for back up power for the stations is insignificant. I would connect it anyway.

As the stereo already has a on/of switch you do not nescessarily have to rn the red through another switch.

owever sometimes it is easier to do so if you have a switch panel handy and all the power onnections at your fingertips.

solder and heat shrink all joints. It also then worth while getting some liquid paint on heat shrink stuff and paint all joints as well.

Hooked it all up according to the wiring diagram, with switch and fuse and all. Turned to switch on and nothing on the display. So i sat the stereo in the ally box with my gps and sounder and suddenly, sparks followed by a little bang and a puff of smoke. Blew the fuse in the back of the stereo, so replaced it and tryed again and still nothing although now there is a crackling sound near where the wires plug into the stereo. Is there somewhere i can take it to check if the unit is stuffed?

jeff f wrote:

suonds like its an earthed chasis

What does that mean jeff? Is there something i can do to fix this for next time?

realchippy is the metal housing of your headunit touching any ally?

I opened it up and found a blown capacitor that my sparky mate reckons i should be able to replace so fingers crossed.

Replaced the capacitor and re-soldered another bit that fell off when i opened the stereo and wired it all up again. Problem now is that the fuse is blowing as soon as i connect power to it, although no strange smells or sounds. Tried everything so am going to see if a professional can fix it or if it's completely stuffed.

Back to the reason for this post, does anyone know of a good electrical repair place that i can get to check and hopefully fix the internal short? Not sure if an auto-electrician would be best or just an electronics repair shop as it's the actal unit that needs fixing not the wiring.

Cheers if anyone can help

goat_man_baa wrote:

Replaced the capacitor and re-soldered another bit that fell off when i opened the stereo and wired it all up again. Problem now is that the fuse is blowing as soon as i connect power to it, although no strange smells or sounds. Tried everything so am going to see if a professional can fix it or if it's completely stuffed.

Back to the reason for this post, does anyone know of a good electrical repair place that i can get to check and hopefully fix the internal short? Not sure if an auto-electrician would be best or just an electronics repair shop as it's the actal unit that needs fixing not the wiring.

Cheers if anyone can help

you now have a internal short circuit, on kessels road opposite freedom at mc gregor north side car sound is there, upstairs in there is a guy have used him numerous times no doubt the best i know at fixing stereos as its all he does for a living.

Cheers for the heads up Shortie and Kriso. I think i'll run with yours for starters kriso as i have to head over that way tomorrow anyway. Is it Northfield car radio? and is it actually in the shop or is it just a bloke upstairs from it. If he is too busy or not sure i'll give shorties bloke a go.

Cheers again

Archived