Playing in my yak

Feral

Well, I've been pretty busy at work, so I've only been able to get out for one session a week to try and build up a bit of endurance / practice paddle technique etc in my yak.

Was out on the Pine River this morning, settling into my routine. Paddle against the tide until I am buggered then come home with the tide.

This is the first time I remembered the GPS and remembered to put charged batteries in it! So I had a little play with the software to see what it showed.

pinetrack.jpg

You will notice the nice sedate pace as I wander up stream against the tide about 3kph, dropping slightly as the tide gathers speed (or I got tired to probably be more honest :blink: )

Then I took a peak over my shoulder and saw the squall coming in from the bay.

Quick turnaround and started back. You'll notice the squall hit me within about 3 or 4 minutes, then it was a hard slog back into the 20 knot headwind that came with it, but with the tide with me at about 5kph it was still 2k faster than the trip out!

Either way 2.5k, and not sore at all tonight, so getting better!

By the time I got back to the car there was a nasty 2 foot chop coming up the river, the Tempo never missed a beat. (You'll notice the little dips on the way upstream as I nervously paddled into the wash of passing boats until I was sure I was not going to go for a swim when their wash hit me!)

Software is Oziexplorer, data was just the track from my trusty Garmin 76, the software does the rest. (I used to work with the bloke who wrote it, many years ago now!)

Problem with fishing cowfish is that sadistic mongrel I bought the yak off has put all the holders down below your feet. My "spare tyre" makes that about 2 foot out of reach!

Might start out with a simple handline trolling some plastics as I paddle. Will have to get a lot better with paddling etc before I am game to add any rod holders within reach, otherwise I might put it somewhere its in the road!

Archived