Dohles Rocks

Richo80

Ive never been to Dohles Rocks before , but a few of my customers have mentioned it as agood spot to fish , i'll be only fishing land based and was curious about a few things..

1 - Is there anywhere to fish from the banks? a jetty? or a suitable area from the shore?

2 - What species would i find in the area 6 hours prior to high tide?

3 - What bait would most suit this area? would lures/soft plastics go ok?

And any other information about the area in general , peoples experiences etc

Many thanks!!B)

Richo,

I've spent plenty of time in Dohles.

It can be tricky. I've caught tailor, whiting,bream whilst some friends have caught flathead all landbased. Plenty of onshore fishing all the way along.

Opposite the bait shop gets good whiting and the trusty bream.Down the far end is where I have caught the tailor during high tide though. The boat ramp isn't a bad place to drop a line either but you need to ensure the boaties have right of way.

I would probably target flatties in the hours leading up to tide going out(use the drop off to lure them out) as I have had little success in the tidal times which you are looking at.

That's not to say fish can't be caught then though as I have been down there during those times and seen people catch soul so like most fishing it can come down to luck.

Regards

Hulk

At or near low tide the area between the boat ramp and the rocks themselves is a minefeild of rubble that often produces good fish on plastics. Three weeks ago I caught two undersized squire about 25cm each, 4 bream of legal size and two flathead all on gulp 3" minnows in pumkinseed colour. Work them slowly and erratically and you will get the fish.

Jack.

most of my success at dohles rocks has been right at the very end of the area. I fish low tide though or out going. Walk along bank flicking SPs along the drop off and work your way up the little feeder creek on the other side of the cletus shack there. Should snare you few flatties in front of the creek. Plenty of bait fish here as well so no harm in cast netting and throwing a livie out there

good luck

:fishing:

Great to read the advice on fishing this area - keen to have a crack at it again. My first attempt at Dohles was a rather dismal affair :(.

Tide looks good for early this Sunday - have checked the forecast though and it could be a wet one... Might just set the alarm for sparrows once again and see how things look. Anyone else planning on heading out Sunday? (perhaps a more appropriate question for the Going Fishing thread sorry).

What size jighead would you generally recommend for around Dohles? I tend to go heavy with a 3" minnow just so I can cast further but thinking this may not be the way to go?

Archived