Biggles gets a PB today

Biggles

With the alarm blaring at 3:30am it was time, Offshore again with Lee, Terry and Batman, I had been itching for another session all week so this morning was poised with anticipation. I rang Terry on route to Caloundra seems he was only a few minutes behind me, Batty and I conversed the night before and he was slumming it in some park close by so the scene was set.

Arrived at the ramp and started to gear up, "where's Lee?", he's not coming was the response, "big girls blouse" was blurted out across the car park followed by a sheepish grin, I might actually be allowed to get one or two today with him not here, lol. With he yaks rigged we shoved off and bang, disaster number one Batty on his maiden offshore trip hit the mirage drive and broke one of the locking seats :oops: , Batty very embarrassed returned to the car park to swap fins back to the standards, while Terry and I pushed on.

Arrived at the blinker around 0630 and was instantly excited by what I saw on the sounder, the trip out was uneventful with only one big hit and run but spat the treble close to the yak, not sure what it was but it was pulling line.

Attachment:

Mr & Mrs Paulo arrived a short time later and we all drifted, floated, cruised, sprinted back and forth but nuthin, Terry wheeled in a small kingy closely followed by me with a cod, both released and back at it. Batty arrived to join the fun a little while later, and then disaster number 2, the Batman and Mrs Paulo were sharing sea sick tablets, and had liquids flowing from parts that didn't look that flash, poor buggas I felt for em.

After a good hour and half we decided to head for the rock, there was nuthin doing where we were even though the sounder said they were there and in good numbers. Half way back to the rock and ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ my rod buckled, I played the fish for a couple of minutes and called it for a good snapper, Terry says might be a sweetlip, tst as if a sweetlip can pull like this. A couple of minutes later and I have him in the yak, "Grassy sweetlip" 57cm couldn't quite crack the 60 and Terry looking at me with a big smile.

Met up with Sticho at the rock and he only had a couple of smaller sweetlip, the fishin was really hard going to day for everyone. Terry managed a 5' black tip shark beside the yak which would have been an awesome sight, sorry no pics. All up today we had a great time just fishin, Batty got a couple of small squire which prevented a donut, well done mate and thanks for coming such a long way. Might head back out this arvo for a crack at some bass, we'll see how I feel.

Great morning out and really happy my PB Grassy.

Regards

Al

planetfonz wrote:

how long does it take to get out to the markers?

About 30mins, although if a tanker came along I recon you could do it in about 5.

Angus wrote:

Nice one guys. Looks like a great day on the water.

Angus

Thanks Angus, didn't go much on this though, a slick left after one of our tankers has flushed or dumped a ballast tank.

Al [img size=448]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/Copy_of_PB150007.JPG

post-2756-144598478616_thumb.jpg

Hmmm

So Vipers catch sharks too... :) Is there anything Vipers can't catch?

I lost a seemingly very good fish on my live bait. Saw some dart smashing stuff up, so I'm flicking a slug out for them when.

BANG BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ BZ BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ goes the baitcaster. What the..?? OH yeah!!

Then it stopped :o

And no more livie:(

But the bloody thing dropped me onto a nice rock :angry: so dragged pulled hard and hoko came free but no big fishy or livie:( This was literally about 30-50m away from where brays breaks.

TerryH wrote:

LOL! How about that red car??

Did he have his boot open so he could catch the next wave or set that rolled up the boat ramp?? Mate that car must have got slammed by waves lol. They were smashing way up that ramp

LMAO :woohoo: :woohoo: , that's exactly what happened the wally backed much further down when he first arrived, then BANG :laugh: , boot filled with water, LMAO batty fell over laughing.

Al

Well

This trip was not my finest few hours on the water I can tell ya!

Having decided to pop up to Caloundra the night before and kip in the back of my ute rather than wake up at 3am was a good move until some stupid kids decided to do burn outs in the car park next to where I was kipping.:side: ......cops got em in the end but a very tired Batty was rearing to go with the new Hobie and I had rigged the Viper I bought the day before!

With the boat ramp being a bit like running the gauntlet I jumped aboard and started to paddle like hell...thought I had made it when the Mirage Drive clipped a rock and as Biggles said no Mirage Drive to use......luckily I carry my original fins so after two more surf launches I was on the water...

I peddled past Brays dropped the Viper down and it didn't take long to hook up a nice little Squire...fifty yards latter zzzzzz off goes the viper again and a little Sweetlip came up.....I was stoked but both fish were under sized so back they went to fight another day.

I kept pushing on but the swell was really lumpy and all of a sudden I started to feel really green with sea sickness. I tried everything, drank heaps of water, tried to keep my mind active doing other things but na....so by the time I got out to the blinker Batty was ready to Batchuck! Even though Mrs gave me some seas sickness tablets I decided to call it an early mark and head back, half way back to Brays up she came and the Hobie has been officially name "Spewin".

After cleaning myself up a bit I stayed out a little longer but I will put this trip down to a test run rather than an epic yak fisho session. Second time in my life I have got sea sick and I am sure there might be a few more times to come!

Aaaagh well that’s yakking!

Thanks to Terry and Biggles for a great day out and congrats on the PB Biggle man.

Oh and yes that old fella in the red car......that was the funniest thing I have ever seen. He backs up..pops his boot open from the inside.....opens his drivers door only to get swamped by a massive wave....cheered me up some!

Till next time chaps!

Batty and HMS Spewin.:P

Well I'm happy to report. My kayak now has a functioning rudder again :P

Popped the ol' busted rudder pin out and whacked in the new one

I wonder if Mal will send me about 5 spares down in the mail :laugh: That's 2 already in the.. 6? months I've owned the kayak lol

Still gotta straighten up one of my mirage masts

Terry

Looking at the Hobie up on it's stands in the garage I reckon I am going to rather strap them down in the rear of the yak before coming in, as the mirage drive pivots and fins are to exposed to that boat ramp at Caloundra.

Sorry if I called you in to early mate I thought you would be ok but when you went sideways I copped it in the shins..and all hell broke loose!

I am definatley going to have tp practice my launch with the new Hobie..

Anyway good day out and looking forward to the next trip...

Biggles wrote:

planetfonz wrote:
how long does it take to get out to the markers?

About 30mins, although if a tanker came along I recon you could do it in about 5.

Angus wrote:

Nice one guys. Looks like a great day on the water.

Angus

Thanks Angus, didn't go much on this though, a slick left after one of our tankers has flushed or dumped a ballast tank.

looks like coral spawn to me

and it was full moon the night before

Al [img size=448]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/Copy_of_PB150007.JPG

batman wrote:

Terry

Looking at the Hobie up on it's stands in the garage I reckon I am going to rather strap them down in the rear of the yak before coming in, as the mirage drive pivots and fins are to exposed to that boat ramp at Caloundra.

Sorry if I called you in to early mate I thought you would be ok but when you went sideways I copped it in the shins..and all hell broke loose!

I am definatley going to have tp practice my launch with the new Hobie..

Anyway good day out and looking forward to the next trip...

Na it was a bit messy yesterday, water doesn't usually hit at that angle, usually more straight on.

Not sure what happened with the rudder, I could have sworn I unlocked the rudder lever to allow it to move more

Oh well.

Paulo nearly got demolished. He came in on the wrong angle, the direction you normally come in.... Which is what I originally lined up for (when you told me to go way over)

He ended up with me grabbing his yak , it hanging half over the end of the ramp, with water about to drop away (smacked by a wave) and him half getting out of the kayak lol

Biggles wrote:

Terry looking at me with a big smile.

Didn't mention it in the thread. I feel bad :laugh:

Well done on the sweetlip mate, it was a bloody cracker.

I've got a little hunch about how to catch them sweetlip now B).

I'm going to go straighten up my mirage drive now lol

Archived