newbe Hinze dam fisher

heidii

Hey guys!

Just moved to the gold coast from melbourne about 6 weeks ago. Have stumbled across Hinze dam and am keen for some fishing fun! Have read their are murray cod in there but has anyone ever actually landed one?

Went there for the first time today and fished landbased but didnt get a thing. Used spinner baits, squidgies and lipless crackers. Can anyone give me some tips?...Will need to get a boat i rekon!

Hi Heidii, I have seen landbased fishos get into a few bass, but mainly on bait (like live shrimp).

No, I have not seen any cod landed from Hinze, but you never know! B)

If you do decide to give boating a go, remember it is and electric or paddle powered dam only (no petrol engines allowed)

There are also fishing permits required, all the relevent info should be on the Gold Coast City Council web site.

Good luck

Rocket

jeff f wrote:

i saw a cod caught in there last year

they are there but either they are few and far between

or maybee it's just that no one is targeting them

Spot on! No one targets them specifically, so the catch rate isnt high. Once you work out what areas they like you should start to come across them occasionally. But I still wouldnt soley target them.

Heres one of the few we got recently...by delibrately throwing larger lures around an area that looked "Coddy".

Allan-cod.jpg

wesfish wrote:

has any one fished the nerang at the top of the dam , it looks great when i drove over the bridge , very fishy looking with good boulders.?
Havent fished it myself mate but have seen pics of some good bass from the upper reaches of the Nerang and believe there are some huge wild bass in there.

Dean;)

loomis wrote:

jeff f wrote:
i saw a cod caught in there last year

they are there but either they are few and far between

or maybee it's just that no one is targeting them

Spot on! No one targets them specifically, so the catch rate isnt high. Once you work out what areas they like you should start to come across them occasionally. But I still wouldnt soley target them.

Heres one of the few we got recently...by delibrately throwing larger lures around an area that looked "Coddy".

Allan-cod.jpg

I want one of those!!:P

Dean;)

thanks guys for the info and NICE COD above!!!

Went there again today and fished landbased...and again not a thing! Really starting to piss me off. :(

There is just soooo many reeds I kept getting caught on etc, and it was really hard to even get close to the water. Even went and bought a whole range of new lures suggested by the guys at the fishing stores. Have decided I will get on a fishing carter instead and maybe then buy my own little boat and electric motor. Have heard though that eletric motors only last 2 hours and are extremely slow...thats doesnt sound fun either!

heidii wrote:

Have decided I will get on a fishing carter instead and maybe then buy my own little boat and electric motor. Have heard though that eletric motors only last 2 hours and are extremely slow...thats doesnt sound fun either!

heidii, if you want to do a charter on hinze get in touch with steve wilkie at sports tuition he is one of the sponsors of this site and runs charters on hinze so tell him you are a member he'll look after you

yes elecs are not fast unless you buy the 4500dollar job. You can get up to 7 hours out of your elec if you do the right thing but if you go as fast as you can it will only last an hour or so, best way is to troll a little way then have a few casts to the bank or weeds then repeat the same again.

Archived