Fiji 14/12/08-29/12/08

Keechie

Castaway Island

Arrived on castaway on the 15th after being told its really good fishing off the beach i find castaway island is taboo to fishing:angry:. I wasn't too happy after that and to make it worse that afternoon snorkelling i came across a school of bluefin trevally and gt's about 60-90cm long and a few very large long nosed emporer. Turns out i was just to late to book for fishing for that night. Second day ate alot, drunk a bit, snorklelled alot kayaked around the island etc untill 5:00 when its time to go out fishing. Started off with no hits for about 1 hour untill the sun went down, i was first on the board with a nice cod around 40cm (of course on plastics:P) and then it started to flow with lots of barracuda and small perch coming on board, a small green jobfish came on board and that was it for the night no photo's because i left the camera at the unit. The next night was very slow with only a few really baby fish coming up and the odd barracuda and a nice shark by wati at around 6ft on the handline. Next night really turned it on, a few nice fish around the 30cm mark were coming on board then he said ok 10 mins left soon after that crack my christmas present:cheer: is bending down to the water zzzzz thump thump thump bring it up and its a nice Red bass around 35cmFiji141208tillthe29th1208001.jpg. Dad said so i got to better that now do i, not even 10 seconds after he says that Wack and his line is going straight down manages to pull it up and he is in the boat. Not sure what species but a very nice looking fish Fiji141208tillthe29th1208004.jpgwith blue and black on him. not long after that we headed off home leaving the fish bitingFiji141208tillthe29th1208005.jpg. next night my sister wanted to join me and dad to catch a fish...WTF that never happens, anyway headed out in shocking weather for only a few small fish and dropped a few whilst jigging a slug. anyway sun was going down so moved spots. baits hit the bottom in search of bigger fish and wack Wati(one of the workers at the resort) is struggling to lift this fish on the 100lb handline after a bit of tussling up comes a great red bass going around 50cm-60cm. baits dropped back to the bottom. dad gets bitten off so i lock up my drag on my new 200 shimano t-curve and 6000 twinpower, soon after i get a hit and the line goes slack wind up a bit set the hooks and WACK!!!! zzzzz straight back down to the bottom and snapped me off on 50lb braid and a 40lb doubled leader. We lost another 4 fish before we called it a night. next night slow once again but a few good fish hitting the deck. On sunday there is some stupid rule at castway that they don't go fishing so that was it for castaway island.

Mana Island

Arrived there and didn't fish for the first 2 days, very disapointed with the resort not so much about the fishing lol. Started off fishing with poppers for the trevally everyone goes there for and not long into the day and i am getting big hits left right and center but not hooking up:( after about an hour of nothing a nice sized Bluefin trevally (i beleive not too sure) smacks my popper and runs hard for the horizon tighten the drag a little bit and he is trying to snag me on every piece or coral. Land him and he goes 60cm to the fork of his tail wooohooo. Full of adrenaline now and went to have lunch. went for a walk around the other side to where there is some deeper water, stumbled across a school of gt's that were hanging around but they were more interested in attacking each other then acutally eating my lure, very entertaining to see. Tried that other end the next day and i found a school of sharks there, as i thought to myself hmmm wouldn't it be cool to get a shark on a popper:P. so as i did i started to cast and dad up the other end of the rocks yells out trevally run here now, turns out i got there and it was tuna feeding just out of casting reach and wouldn't come closer. decide to head back to the sharks wack missed wack missed boom gotcha runs quite well and landed him good fun using a popper for these sharks (only small black tip reef sharks). tried a small plastic and managed to hook a baby cody which got sharked at my feet:( poor cody. With just the head left i thought why not cast him out dragged him across the surface and wacked hooked a bigger one about 1.5m on my 2-4kg t-curve and 2500 twinpower with 4lb braid. I really had no chance and with the spool getting empty he finally bit through the 20lb leader. Next day tried the rocks down the end i was staying for not even a follow, so after jumping off the rocks with the local kids i set for the other end. nothing so i decidecd to try the colour popper i thought least would work, hits the water pop pop big flash of silver beneath the lure and then crack all hell goes loose after about 5 seconds of the fight i had lost 50m of line and he left from the water shaking my lure free (or pulling the hooks i dunno) estimated to be around 1.2m i was spewing i missed it. next morning i got up early and went down to the rocks after dropping like 5 good gt's i was getting angry, casted off 2 poppers so i had enough and went back to the unit to swim. tried again that arvon and somehow my popper sunk and got snagged on the reef:angry:. Next day popped my arse off then saw this torpedo head straight for my lure bacng he missed come back come back i said to my self and bang zzzz, made sure i set the hooks properly this time and after a solid fight he is up on the land photo's taken and given to the village. lost a big barracuda on a 40g slug then decided to finish my fishing in fiji.......... i just had to have one last flick went out with my 2-4kg and flicked around a slug, after playing with many longtoms barracuda, sharks and cod and gettign smmoked by a nice sized gt i sat up on the rocks and watched alll the gt's and trevally swim around feeding.

sorry about making this such a long report i did intend to make it short but it just kept on going and going and going and going. i enjoyed my holiday and i hope you enjoy reading this thanks.

nic

sommerset trip got cancelled rocket:( a fair bit disapointed but yeah it happens. It was a great trip, thanksfor the kind words everyone. I would like to thank rocket because that red popper that caught the first trevally i bought from him at amart all sports about 2 or 3 years ago haha, thanks mate

Keechie wrote:

i thought i might just put this in to rub it in the others faces, we are also planning on going back to castaway next year to do some trolling and to throw some really big poppers around:P. i love fiji been there 6 times now haha

6 times OMG.

was the fishing like it was this time the same each other time?

6 trips like that would be mad.

fantastic trip keech...awesome!..

think that fish ya dont know what the name is..is a painted mowong..maybe...close anyway..

mate a shark on a popper!...wooohooo!...mate ya must have had a ball over there man...next time ya heading over..i might try and tee it up so im over there too..would love to get over there...great fish and great report mate...did the natives eat the red bass????:blink:

jimmybob wrote:

fantastic trip keech...awesome!..

think that fish ya dont know what the name is..is a painted mowong..maybe...close anyway..

mate a shark on a popper!...wooohooo!...mate ya must have had a ball over there man...next time ya heading over..i might try and tee it up so im over there too..would love to get over there...great fish and great report mate...did the natives eat the red bass????:blink:

Thanks jimmybob, the shark on the popper was amazing i found a school of about 30 black tip reef sharks from 30cm up to 1.5m, i just ripped out long casts thenpopped it back slowly and you see the fin come out of the water and try to hit it, very cool to watch. Yeah for sure mate i will let you know my plans once its all organised. Yes the natives ate the red bass, they eat everything over there, last time i was on the coral coast they even ate the barracuda and sea snake so a bit strange lol.

Cpetrie: its only been the last 3 trips or so i have started taking fishing gear but it depends where you stay is how good the fishing is. most times it is awesome with reefies and gt's schooling up around the reef and stuff.

nic

Archived