Sharking in the bay

Brian D

Username and Brian d are heading out from redland bay to pelician banks and macleay island tomorrow to see if we can work up a few sharks.

It will be a hit and miss approach as I haven't been there since last season but we should come up with something.

Meeting at the ramp about 4am, in a 470 spirit cruise craft, so say good ah if you are in the area.

Brian D wrote:

Username and Brian d are heading out from redland bay to pelician banks and macleay island tomorrow to see if we can work up a few sharks.

It will be a hit and miss approach as I haven't been there since last season but we should come up with something.

Meeting at the ramp about 4am, in a 470 spirit cruise craft, so say good ah if you are in the area.

Jealous!

After waking up feeling remarkably good today I wish I had planned something!

Angus

Angus wrote:

Brian D wrote:

Jealous!

After waking up feeling remarkably good today I wish I had planned something!

Angus

Yeah, but angus what were you doing at 4am? I feel pretty good, but was only getting home then!

Hope you smashed them this morning Brian! looking forward to the report

I'd just like to say that the 'BrainD Charter Company' promises the world, but delivers very little. :D

With weird winds, currents traveling against the tide, and dodgy reels ( my big spin is shagged, and my SOL had a scratch that kept catching the braid ) it was never going to be easy.

We Managed to land two decent size stingrays, we both lost a monster, Brian's was a mackeral (we think). We were trolling some lures from A to B and after quite some time with not a touch Brian says loudly 'This is Bullsh!t' in frustration. No sooner were the words out of his mouth than his rod buckled over and started screeming.

With 10pound mainline he had no chance of stopping it, I bravely grabbed the helm and pushed the go forward button just as his braid got down to the backing. Started to get ground back on the fish, we reckon it was traveling at a good 10 knots and near the boat TWANG!. the fish is gone, wind it up and find it's bitten clean through the wire leader.

Did some more trolling and some stinky bait fishing, my boat rod got hit big time and was being punished badly, I could barely get it out of the rod holder it was being pulled so hard. Unfortunately the mainline broke just above the knot ( I know it wasn't the knot because my knots are always perfect ) and I lost it. Didn't feel like a stingray, so either a shark or a mackeral I reckon.

Headed up to goat island to flick some lures, we both had some tentative touches but no takers, so we switched to cubes of pilly but apart from a baby bream for Brain the bait was just being picked off the hooks.

I threw on a baitjig for sh!ts and giggles as we could see plenty of small fish hanging out with the berly, and I pulled up about a dozen wrasse of some sort in about 5 minutes, my best was 4 in one drop.

Trolled back towards the mainland and apart from Brian wakeboarding behind the police barge there wasn't much action either.

Thanks for the trip Brain, not much fish, but a beautiful day and mediocre company made it well worthwhile anyways.

username_taken wrote:

I'd just like to say that the 'BrainD Charter Company' promises the world, but delivers very little. :D

Not sure what you're on about. I went out with Brian and he put me onto sharks :laugh: Maybe it's just the individual anglers:P

Bummer, sorry to hear about the lack of monster fish. Hopefully next time you'll crack 'em

Username speaks the truth except he leaves out that it was all the deckies fault.

I mean with an incoming tide and an outgoing current things were never going to be normal. This made for very steep liitle peaks that were topped with 15 knots of variable wind. Again - deckies fault.

The pelician banks have changed shape again (deckies fault), with no marks on the gps and an old map I found it difficult to find a drop off, even the main chanel was very shallow.

It has been a while since I call "getting smoked" the best part of the day but you gotta have a bad day to experience the good ones.

The fish that I hooked on the troll took a 150mm barra classic in red black and gold, and like paul says, it took off realy fast and I couldn't stop it even when we were cruising along side it at about 10 knots. It took 125 yards in less the a minute. It's been a while since I could stop a fish either.

Aww no sharkies for chillie!:(

I shouldn't jest. My first shark trip for the season (sad I know) will fingers crossed be this weekend. It was looking good, stinking hot and humid all week and then the flamming rain sets in last night grrr. My turf craps out when it rains but I'll probably still go! Lol i threw the net yesterday for the first time in a year, and I've still got it phew:laugh:

rayke1938 wrote:

Wait for the pending release of the dvd called AFO Monduran 08.

Really? How much footage did you guys get? Will it be available through AFO store etc? Man I need to spend some more time on here, I'm missing all the goss lol.

benno573 wrote:

hehehe... mediocre company.... :laugh:

He is jealous bcause I am mature, fat and handsome.

How about a chance to redeam myself and we go out again on Saturday. :fishing:

If you don't like the company you can always swim behind the boat - I did loose a big lure which needs to be replaced.:P Want need berley that's for sure, you'll be leaving a poop trail.:woohoo:

Archived