Inland NSW

Schultzy

Here's a question for all of you current and ex-NSWelshmen.

I'm planning a road trip through inland NSW down to the Vic border. Target species are cod, cod and cod.

We will be fishing Lake Mulwala and the Murray River at the southern end of our excursion.

Am open to suggestions for cod fishing spots worth seeing on the way down. Probably won't start fishing until we get as far south as Tamworth. I've already fished the lakes and some streams north of there.

Also will be fishing Dartmouth during the trip, just to cross it off the list.

Any Ideas?

Interesting trip Schultzy, look forward to reading about it.

Can't really help you too much as most of my fishing has been north of Tamworth as well.

But I reckon if I had the oppurtunity to do a trip like that I'd head down through the hills, and come back up through the western plains.

On the way down I'd probably make either Lake Keepit or Split Rock Dam my first point of call. Then next stop on the list would be lake Burrendong on the Macquarie River near Wellington.

Then next would be Lake Wyangala on the Lachlan River near Cowra. I'd probably spend a few days there exploring and fishing the Lachlan River as well.

Next stop off would be the Murrimbidgee River either around Wagga Wagga or Gundagai.

Then down to Lake Hume near Albury, and a few days exploring the Murray down to Lake Mulwala. Keep in mind I don't know much about Lake Hume or Burrendong so might only get harrassed by redfin and trout there :blush: . But I have seen photos from my mates down that way of some ripper cod from Wyangala.

Then on the way back up I'd be heading back further inland, stop offs would be the Murrimbidgee around Narrandera, the Lachlan near Forbes or Condobolin, the Macquarie River near Narromine, then the Castlereagh around Coonamble, then up to the Barwon and Namoi near Walgett, I'd spend a couple of days there. Then up to the Barwon again near Mungindi, and finally up to Nindigully to have a beer in the pub and fish the Moonie River.

Not sure how long you have to do the trip, but if I had the time that would be the way I'd go. The sad part is that in my younger years when I was working out western NSW, I spent plenty of time at a lot of these areas, but fishing wasn't exactly high on my list of priorities back then unfortunately.

Either way it sounds like a great trip, have a good one! :fishing:

Cheers,

Matt

Thanks for the in depth reply Matt.

Quite a few of the locations you mentioned were on our short list.

It is likely that Burrendong will be our first stop.

Wyangla next, then the Murrimbidgee, then on to the Murray for the best part of a week I think. Will fish the stretch between Tocumwal and Yarrawonga for a day or two. Might head out to Echuca, possibly on to Swan Hill from there.

Might slip down to Dartmouth on the way down before heading to Yarrawonga perhaps.

I grew up in Cobram Schultzy on the Vic/NSW border on the murray and my grandfather use to be the publican at the Mulwala Pub. The lake still holds good numbers of good size cod plus the river is fishing quite well at the moment after speaking with cousins down that way especially around Tocumwal.

I had a couple of tourist call into my pub out back of Toowoomba a couple of weeks back who were from Numerkha and they had a picture of a 60lb cod taken out of the Murray 1st week after the season started so best of luck mate.

Heath

hmmm i use to live in Echuca and did hear of murray cod being caught under the Moama bridge which is just down from the Echuca wharf (where all the paddle boats are) some little side trips from there probably worth visting is to the Barmah wetlands with all the old red gums and if you head towards Cohuna there is the Torrumbarry Weir and also the whole Gunbower island/wetland area...when in Echuca itself head towards the end of the main street towards the Echuca Holiday Park and if you follow the signs to the boat ramp there is access all along the Murray and also where it meets the Campaspe river which was a popular fishing spot with the locals.....no matter what, make sure you stop off at the Beechworth Bakery in the main street just down from the Port of Echuca and have a big vanilla custard slice for me!

My olds live in echuca and its very rare that i dont get a cod from under the bridge when i visit them. If you have time to explore the bush around there, theres a few awesome little creeks that feed into the river. Fishing the mouth of those and further into them should get you a big lazy bugger.

Archived