Penn Warranty Claim

Old Scaley

Anyone had a warranty claim for a Penn rod recently? Santa bought me a new soft plastic outfit this year. The rod is a Penn Tournament 2 - 4kg. It had a few outings down the mouth of the river, but only caught a few small pinkies and a couple of small cod and a couple of 20cm flatties.

Took it up for my annual trip to Burrum HGeads, thinking it would be a great place to hone the skills on soft plastic breaming. Day 1 of the trip and I was placing the p[lastic into the hook keeper above the butt and "snap", the thing fractured about 150cm from the tip. I was being gentle with it as it is the most fragile rod I own. I have been fishing for a long time and still have rods and reels that I bought 30 years ago, so I am pretty careful with my gear. It was only loaded with 3lb fireline and 4lb leader, so I could not have put too much pressure on it.

I bought it (oops - I mean Santa bought it) froma very reputable tackle shop, and was told that they would look after me if I had a warranty claim. I won;t get a chance to get there until Saturday, so just wondering if anyone else has had a similar claim and how did you go?

By the way, the fishing was the worst I have seen at Burrum for 20 years. May have been the big tides or the wind, but hardly anyone was catching.

Cheers

Steve

Don't know if they would honour a warranty claim for a rod that had been 'high sticked' but you can only ask.

When hooking lures up on my rods i usually hook up the back treble/hook to the keeper/guide frame with the line loose and then hold the rod on its side with the lure dangling and wind the excess line in.

Yea, I'm not sure how I will go either. I am pinning my hopes on the fact that I got it from a well known tackle shop rather than a discount store and there may be some goodwill there. It's not like I slammed it in the car door or anything. Anyway, if I don't have any luck with the claim, I will go to a discount store for the next one - or maybe the RNA grounds next week-end.

I have now broken 3 graphite rod tips, in all 3 instances I was pulling line off by hand against light drag but at an acute angle back towards the reel. I have no doubt it is the angle of the line that caused the failure, and after 3 go's I now think hard before acting (yes I am a bit slow!).

So far as warranty claims go, I have had one on Penn, but it was for a reel. It was replaced after being sent away for inspection. Penn was at the time (and I think still is) a Jarvis Walker owned brand and they tend to be fairly good with claims...but sometimes it comes down to the retailer and their policies too.

Bottom line...I don't think the rod was at fault, but you may get a sympathetic response.

Good luck,

Rocket

Archived