Question . . ?

obone

Hey all. Didn't know what to title the thread :huh:

Anyway, I was at a property on Aussie Day and in some of the cattle water troughs there were like 50 fish, some up to about 15cm in length.

How did they get in there!?

Some of the troughs were well above where water would ever flood to, so they didn't get there during a big flood. The only ways I could think of were that; they were sucked up through the bore (but they didn't look like the sort of fish that would live underground ie. in the dark), or that a bird may have dropped a few in there (?!) and they started breeding.

Any ideas?

Joel ;)

It's interesting isn't it? I one time saw a guy catch a huge yellow belly in a man made bond that only fills up after plenty of rain.. They quite simply haveto be introduced I'd imagine as there really isnt any other viable explanation.. You can buy fingerlings in a variety of species from fish farms to stock your dams etc...

What a dream to have an enormous dam and stock it with Bass, Yellaz and Mary River Cod - heaps of little gar's and fresh water prawns.. Your own little fishing heaven!

They could've been Spangled Perch, they'll live in anything and have a habit of getting into everywhere.

I've caught them about the same size in a dam smaller than an average swimming pool out at Samford, and the owner said he didn't put them in.

They must get in as eggs on ducks legs or something?

When I was a kid my grandfather at Kingaroy had spangled perch in the watertrough. it was a hollowed tree and was fed by bore water from a windmill. The water was slightly salty ok for stock but no good for plants.

I can remember shooting the crows as they used to try to get the fish.

He had spangled perch in all his dams and they seemed to thrive. No water weeds just muddy water.

Cheers

Ray

Archived