Brians newie

rayke1938

nice Brian! that would be an ideal size boat for my river light sharking ventures:)

However if I do go ahead with my boat ventures in the next year sometime it will be probably 3.4m max, cause I want it to be car topper capable (to go on my box trailer).

I will be keenly watching how you fit her outB)

Thanks Guys,

Wolfie this was a car topper. I got it from an old guy who travels to top end every year and goes accross the gulf to Darwin and down the west coast.

Actually he was packed ready to leave when picked up the boat.

He sold it cause he said the crocks are getting too big and friendly with boats so he needed a bigger one. It has caught some mighty fish including several metreplus salt water barra, 940mm finger mark bream, GT's etc.

But your right 4m car topper is pretty big.

Here is what it looks like on the trailer.

[img size=492]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/100_1005.jpg

Post edited by: Brian D, at: 2007/01/06 10:10

post-118-144598404987_thumb.jpg

Aaron H wrote:

Nice one Brian, whens the christening

Tomorrow if I get my finger out

Next weekend if don't.

But wife has decided that if I got time to work on boat I got time to finish the extensions and the yard and the pool and go to work while she goes down the club.:angry:

I hear ya mate, I wanted to go and chase bream around the Manly boat moorings with some hardbodies this morning, but she who must be obeyed decided I had to mow the lawn, I keep telling her that it doesn't need mowing until you can't see the dog but she disagrees, might have something to do with the dog being a rotweiler cross :laugh: . Anyhow got my shrimp and lures ready and heading up to NP dam before she comes home and finds something else for me to do.

OK still working on trailer - I tried going to Bias Boating today but all the 50x50 clamps where gone so I couldn't do the skids.

I did get the wobble rollers off and but new bolts on the centre and bow keel rollers.

But I have a problem and that is, because the trailer has 14\" wheeles and the centre crossmember has a inverted v in it the hull sits on top of the mud guards, even after I have adjusted the rollers to full 150mm hight. Not sure what to do yet.

Also need to get a depth sounder to cover holes in transom from last sounder.

Need new floor. Then I need batteries and charger and I should be set for lenthals. Realy noy that much to do.

Post edited by: Brian D, at: 2007/01/06 18:05

I had the same problem with the guards, penalty of a flatter bottom!

I fixed mine with some fancy scroll work with Rays band saw (IE we cut 50mm from the inside of each guard!), and moved them out 50mm. Gives me about 15mm clearance to the hull each side.

How are your guards mounted to the trailer? Any scope for moving them out easily? Otherwise will have to either extend the roller mounts, or do a similar \"adjustment\" to what I did. Changing to 13\" rims is not really an option, 13\" rims are rare as rocking horse do do, took me weeks just to find one as a spare. (Yes boat yards sell them, but like $70 each, then you still have to move the guards).

It is easy enough to extend the roller mounts, you cut them off just beneath the roller bracket (leaving an inch or so to allow something to join to), and weld in an extension there, (bit of 13mm galv water pipe would probably do the job) so the original bits still go in the mount. Just means the boat is a bit higher.

Post edited by: Feral, at: 2007/01/06 18:18

Post edited by: Feral, at: 2007/01/06 18:20

Mmmm - thanks, I'll have a look tomorrow and see If I can move them wider. Maybe a sledge hammer might do the trick!

I'm going to have to set my rear roller at 150mm too or I'll end up with too much weight on the skids. It looks like the last guy used the skids as the primary brackets, (not good but no holes that I can see, just some dents and scrapes).

rayke1938 wrote:

brian 32068583 not between 7.45 and 8.30 Ill be at recycleland. Not a loan always glad to get rid of some junk they are yours.

Ray

Crap Ray - I forgot - sorry man. Anyway Good Karma for the thought.

Hey I saw some roller extensions on a trailer in the car park today and they were about 250mm high. they look normal, not custom made. Any idea where they got em from. It's an old trailer.

Brian Active Fabrications are back from holodays 38076666 they will have everything you need otherwise liesure marine at capalabe carry a good range with prices cheaper than bias but ring to make certain everything is in stock. My personal choice would be active fabrications.

ray

Probably made them, its not hard, just 16mm solid square with some pipe weleded on end for sockets. Heck of a lot cheaper than buying them!

I know coz I was silly enough to buy a pair of 8\" ones from bias today. They cost me like $8 each!with $5 for each socket. It would cost over $50 per roller if you were buying them from that mob!

After that shock, I decided if I wanted more I would make them. I picked up enough square tube and solid square from the local hardware scrap bin to make 2 or 3 sets - for $2 a piece on the way home!

I grease mine anyway, so not being galvanised is not an issue.

Post edited by: Feral, at: 2007/01/08 18:13

rayke1938 wrote:

Brian Active Fabrications are back from holodays 38076666 they will have everything you need otherwise liesure marine at capalabe carry a good range with prices cheaper than bias but ring to make certain everything is in stock. My personal choice would be active fabrications.

ray

How good are these Guys from Active Fabrications. I dropped in this morning before work and they asked me to bring in the trailer so they can match all the parts I need for the trailer. Yeah baby that's good old fashion service. Hard to find these days.;)

Thanks for the tip Ray, it's a great store, I'll have lots of fun in there.:ohmy: :laugh:

You should see the Cannon all now. I spent 12 hours on it today between running around, buying stuff and sticking it in the boat.

It's started to look real smick.

Removed the wobble rollers

Put new skids on

New centre roller extensions to lift the dingy of the mud guards

New rear roller

New transom floor

New Hummingbird sounder

New 100ah glass cell inclosed battery

New inboard battery charger (that's right inboaord charger)

New centre floor

Wired up and install the new electric 54lb

Started layng the carpet

Still to do

Finish carpet

Rewire the hummingbird

Add 2 swivel seats

Add roll up Bimini for the missus

New anchor

Then catch some fish

Took Cannon Ball for a run today in Hinze Dam and she went better then I expected. A bit noisy into the wind but I suppose I am used to a heavy glass boat.

I ran the battery for 3.5hours non stop and got home with 50% or so the charger say.

NO holes in the hull which is a nice releif.

The sounder works great but I still need to refine a few practices.

Floor is OK but will be better when the carpet is finished. Transom floor was prefect to stand and steer from.

Trailer needs some else to tell me what to do because I have no clue.

Casting deck is spot on. A bit bow heavy now - but I supppose that's cause there's no real motor on the other end.

Storage was great, would like some horizontal rod racks, stability was excellent, motor was as good as can be expected.

She is going to be just fine.:) :cheer:

Post edited by: Brian D, at: 2007/01/14 17:59

Brian,

your a bit vague on what your problem is with the trailer?

Was the boat hard to get off / retrieve?

Did you grease your rollers? your trailers been sitting around for a while.

I greased the rollers on mine yesterday, had not done it when we put it together as was only transporting her with no boat, and had not got around to it until yesterday when I added another roller.

Got all set to launch today, asked Alex if he had hold of rope, undid clip lent on boat to move footing to give it the usual big heave, and she was off like a rocket, pulled Alex in nearly waist deep before he could stop her headline flight for the middle of the dam!

Brian,

can be a bit painful setting them all up. I found easiest way was to set front and rear rollers, as low as you can - adjust skids so boat just rocks, then adjust in between rollers until they touch boat (pushing up a bit as you tighten. If the rollers dont spin you have got it pretty close. You can always loosen the front roller and let it slip slightly to get more weight on the in between rollers if you need to.

• 2 weeks later...

That looks identical to Rays 4hp 4 stroke. His has only forward and neutral, have to spin the motor 180 to reverse. It works ok, but the tell tale comes awfully close to squirting into the boat!

Clever idea with the board for the Sounder, will do that for mine as well, just to keep her at the right angle.

Less than 3 weeks to Lenthals!

Ray the trailer is way better - I had it too high and wrong skids - like Feral says it's a bit painfull to get right. I Replaced the skids again with telflon topped 3x2 pine and lowered the back. Slipped off real good and came back better too. But I think I could lower the tail a little more.

What I did was put blocks of wood on the mud guards at the hight that I wanted the boat to sit and dropped all the rollers and skids, then bought them back up again. Way better now.

Here's a picture show her in good use on Hinze - not finished but usable.

Post edited by: Brian D, at: 2007/01/31 05:19

post-118-144598406558_thumb.jpg

Feral wrote:

That looks identical to Rays 4hp 4 stroke. His has only forward and neutral, have to spin the motor 180 to reverse. It works ok, but the tell tale comes awfully close to squirting into the boat!

Clever idea with the board for the Sounder, will do that for mine as well, just to keep her at the right angle.

Less than 3 weeks to Lenthals!

I have reverse and I think it works - It is also only a 2 stroke - I should test it out soon, before lenthalls.

Maybe this weekend. The board is just a temp thing until after I carpet but it works great so I'll proberable put it back when I finish the carpet.

Brian D wrote:

Ray the trailer is way better - I had it too high and wrong skids - like Feral says it's a bit painfull to get right. I Replaced the skids again with telflon topped 3x2 pine and lowered the back. Slipped off real good and came back better too. But I think I could lower the tail a little more.

What I did was put blocks of wood on the mud guards at the hight that I wanted the boat to sit and dropped all the rollers and skids, then bought them back up again. Way better now.

Here's a picture show her in good use on Hinze - not finished but usable.<br><br>Post edited by: Brian D, at: 2007/01/31 05:19

[img size=485]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/hinze2.jpg

post-118-144598406577_thumb.jpg

Party Boat!

I see towel and spare clobber there Brian, I take it your deckie was up to the usual piloting standard then eh?

I have scrounged some more carpet, and ply,for the floor of the bullet, but dont think I am going to have the time before Lenthalls to put them in, have got a few other things to do to get ready.

(Like go fishing! - just to make sure the 6hp is running well of course, gave it a good half hour run the other day and she went well, but might give her a 2 or 3 hour trip just to be sure)

Archived