comming out soon

wwwjohn

Hi,

My wife has been lucky enough to have been offered a sponsorship in brisbane, which i hope will be good for me to. I love fishing and have spent a long time fishing in the Uk, most of the fishing back here is on the freshwater side of things as the sea is full of nothing. I would love to get more involved in the sea fishing side and would like to know what sort of tackle I should buy on my arrival. I would like to do shore fishing as well as fishing from boats. Could you let me know what rods and reels would be best for this sort of fishing. Would also like to know how the river fishes in the city.

regards john

g'day mate. standard issue for sea fishing here would be

1. tld 20 overhead reel by shimano. $200 here

2. 30 lb braid of some sort. $70/80 here for 300 mtrs

3. a live fibre rod 15/24 kilo. $180 there abouts, here

for spinn setup, sea fishing, if you don't like overhead gear.

1. shimano 6500 baitrunner. $ 185/195 here

2.again 30lb braid

3.live fibre rod in the 10/15 kilo range.

for the estuary

1. go for a good rod, graphite constructionin between 4 and 12lb

2. quality reel, with a very good drag system, this is more important than the rod.

examples, shimano.

twin power

sustain

examples daiwa.

sol

heartland.

in the 2000/ 2500 size reels.

and last but not least is braid, say at 6/8 lb.

this should cover most of your fishing needs here, but be prepared for an influx of imformation comming your way, as you will find out. for us.1 is never enough.:P . happy shopping;) hope this has helped.

Mate welcome aboard.

First off welcome to the site and looking forward to having you in Aus. The AFO Bristish expat contingent is getting quite big :P

My advice would be to firstly have a read of the forum as gear is talked about a lot.

Secondly once your here, join in one of our socials as seeing and doing is often the best way to learn by far.

Cheers mate.

Angus

welcome mate plenty of info in the tackle threads and also flick through the fishing reports as alota people mention what they where using in the report, and admit it your coming here so you can drink bundy rum and not that other crap they sell over there! lol

Hi,

Thanks for the imformation and the help on whats the best rum, sorry to disappoint any one but I dont drink spirits just beer so lets hope thats ok.On the help from what fishing takle is best I think like advised best to wait till I get there was planing to buy before I came. Hope to be there middle of April and to be honest cant wait. Ive been living in Spain for the last 5 years so the only fishing worth doing doing here is fishing for poxy carp, as the sea is completely empty of all fish. The Spanish eat everything over 5mm in length amd lets face it the med is a big pond.

I see you have the brisbane open each year is this fished on the river and if so how far do you have to go before its freshwater or is it fished on the tidal part.

Do you have second hand fishing gear for sale in the club?.

I have an email address allisonives@hotmail.com (thats my wife before I get to much stick about my name) so any information could be sent direct look forward to meeting every one soon.

John.

Archived