NPD surface Gar 16/3/09

reef_raider

after a few trips with only hits and no hookups on surface at NPD i decided to try again this morning

fishing in a bay at bullockys which is fairly sheltered from most wind the action started after about 10 minutes.

every other trip i havnt seen what the fish where but today there were 100's of gar hitting my little ecogear PX45

anywhere from 1-10 gar would follow and nudge the lure every cast with about 1 in 5 cast resulting in a strike

finally managed to hook a few and after short airial shows the lure would come flying back at me and the fish would go the other way everytime

some of these were big gar about 30-40cm

finally managed to land one, only a small guy around 20cm

was definately worth the effort and a lot of fun

only have one pic but will post it in about an hour

cheers, jake

Fly is the way to go for gar,Bread and crumb flies are easy to tie and with a bit of bread as burley you'll have the fun of cork.You can use a tiny float on a very light spin rod with the bread fly below the float and the crumb fly 6 to 8 inches below that./

Patterns for the flies are; Bread fly... size 12 hook, tie on white deer hair on the gape end of the shank and a small wedge of closed cell foam behind the eye. Trim the deer hair to a fan shape. Crumb fly...size 16 hook, wrap white cotton chenille around the shank and that is it. Go catch a bucket of gar as Dino and I do.:ohmy: Message me if you need help, be my pleasure.:cheer:

Archived