Yak anchor rope storage?

werewolf

I have a piece of pool noodle tied off about 20cm from the end of the anchor rope. I use this to wrap the rope around it for storage, and more importantly, when fighting a big fish, I can unclip the rope from the anchor trolley and jettison the anchor so as not to lose a good fish by letting it foul on the rope. When the fights over paddle back and clip back on at your spot again.

werewolf, probably so the end can be tied onto a clip. and then you can clip the anchor rope on/off the yak as needed.

I know I'd much rather have the noodle/float in the water (which is what would happen in this case) than on the end of the rop where it might get in the way a bit more.

Mmmm thinking more about it, I could have say a foot or so of noodle, carved out a bit to hold the line wrapped around it. When I want to anchor I can let is spin though my hands to the bottom and then just tie a loop off on the side of the yak. Worse case and it goes overboard or I have to untie it for a fish etc it will float.

I want to have about 10-15 m of rope so I can anchor up in Big W, hence I need somewhere to stow the rope. A section of noodle would be great as it could lie at my feet with my anchor (a section of rail line). An advantage of being a shorty, there is plenty of storage room in the foot area ;)

Here is my anchor storage... pretty much just the rope hanked up and in the tub with anchor and float.

DSC00198AFO.jpg

Anchor has a clip on the end which I tie off at the required length and it just clips to my yak side cord. Unclip it and the float holds it there ready to paddle back to and clip on again.

Image005.jpg

Thanks for all the ideas guys!

bootyinblue wrote:

Anchor has a clip on the end which I tie off at the required length and it just clips to my yak side cord.

Booty: are you actually changing the position of the clip on the fly to set the length of rope that you let out? Or does it just stay fixed at the end of the rope, and you tie off the rope at the correct length you need?

Another thing I have seen advised recently. Attach anchor to the rope with something that will snap under heavy pressure. If the anchor gets hooked up, you cant get the same purchase to pull it up on a yak. So make sure you snap it off in a worse case situation. Suggestion is attach with 20lb breaking strain.

So there is two things for my setup - clip/float at the top, 20lb attach at the bottom.

dru

You don't need to lose the anchor if it gets caught on the bottom. I have a similar folding anchor to the one Booty uses. Instead of the chain or rope being attached to the end (like in the photo), the it is attached to the eye on the other end of the shaft. The chain then runs the length of the anchor shaft, then tie it off to the end with a ziptie or some 10lb mono. If it ever gets caught on reef,fallen timber,whatever, you yank hard and break the tie and the anchor should pull out of the snag with some jiggling

[img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/anchor-2ba09138c6208c27d6c1cc906b031c18.jpg

Archived