5 Good Things in Tassie.

happywally

hey guys,

just came back from tassie, went down for a couple of days to visit my best mate and do some fishing with him. here are 5 good things i picked up in tassie.

1. Eastern School Whiting

170409sandwhiting.jpg

2. Horse Mackerel

180409frigatemackerel.jpg

3. Blue Warehou

180409warehou.jpg

4. Sand Flathead

img2828b.jpg

5. Common Gurnard Perch

180409redgurnard.jpg

i was bored one afternoon and went for a quick fish by myself. did an hour and ended up with a nice eastern school whiting. it was released back after the photo.

the Blue Warehou and the Horse Mackerel were caught one night when my mate and i decided to have a fun session. we used heavy duty lights to attract the fish and went on a spree. within 2 and a half hours we can caught 20 fish. 10 Warehou and 10 Mackerel.

the next day we went on a flattie spree. within 2 hours we had caught close to 20 flatties, all legal. My best mate caught the biggest one that day, 43cm. sadly we didnt get any Tiger Flatties. We filleted them and made beer battered flathead for a party that evening. the red gurnie was a by catch and was released unharmed.

straddiebrad wrote:

mate is fish no-5 poisonous it just looks like it would be.

fish number 5 is a Common Gurnard Perch. the tassy locals call em Red Gurnies.

they are apparently great to eat, but there are many small spikes on the head which contain poison, as well as the spines...

but if you kill it, and fillet the meat without sending yourself to the hospital, then they are great to eat. :cheer:

MORE EDITS!

apparently my AFN Australian Fish Guide lacks alot of fish...

to think i paid $30 for it... :angry:

mistook Horse Mackerel for Frigate Mackerel

mistook Common Gurnard Perch for Red Gurnard

mistook Eastern School Whiting for Sand Whiting

img2821.jpg

somebody please tell me that this is a Dusky Flathead?

tacklebox wrote:

sure that's a dusky flathead? interesting colour if it is. thanks for the report :)

Good pick Tacklebox. The way I normally ID duskies is by the spotted caudal fin with one noticeably larger spot in the upper 1/3 or so. The pics don't show the tail clear enough to tell.

The pic of the Sandy in my copy of Grant's shows the three dark banks running across the back.I have never noticed this with Duskies, so I'll vote that it is a Sand Flathead of some variety.

Mack_attack wrote:

Nice report happywally.

Their sand whiting is very different to ours almost a cross between a king george and winter whiting.

Mack nothing like a King George whiting bud no cross breed @ all I've caught heaps of kilo plus kings in port phillip bay and in SA no offence but that is not a cross breed King george's are king's and winter whiting I will stand corrected but we didn't have a run of smaller whiting down south when I grew up down south

we did have small sand whiting in the harbours bud but used to catch them in the harbours as kids but out in the open bays KINGS ruled 1 kg mono heaps of fun

cheers Gaz

ask nastymind I'm in a book about em :woohoo: he has it

werewolf wrote:

tacklebox wrote:
sure that's a dusky flathead? interesting colour if it is. thanks for the report :)

Good pick Tacklebox. The way I normally ID duskies is by the spotted caudal fin with one noticeably larger spot in the upper 1/3 or so. The pics don't show the tail clear enough to tell.

The pic of the Sandy in my copy of Grant's shows the three dark banks running across the back.I have never noticed this with Duskies, so I'll vote that it is a Sand Flathead of some variety.

I didn't think it looked the same as our duskies. The eyes are closer together.

From Grants, talking about Southern Sand Flathead:

... the range of this fish extends from southern New South Wales into Victoria and Tasmania, thence to South Australia.

From Grants, talking about Tiger Flathead:

... its distribution extending through southern New South Wales into Victoria and Tasmania

Gazza wrote:

Mack_attack wrote:
Nice report happywally.

Their sand whiting is very different to ours almost a cross between a king george and winter whiting.

Mack nothing like a King George whiting bud no cross breed @ all I've caught heaps of kilo plus kings in port phillip bay and in SA no offence but that is not a cross breed King george's are king's and winter whiting I will stand corrected but we didn't have a run of smaller whiting down south when I grew up down south

we did have small sand whiting in the harbours bud but used to catch them in the harbours as kids but out in the open bays KINGS ruled 1 kg mono heaps of fun

cheers Gaz

I didn't say it was a cross breed :dry:

Simply making conversation and was commenting on how the fish looked similar between our winter whiting with its distinct lateral line, and the king george as it has spots down its sides. I am aware that the king george has a much longer, slender body and the spots are quite different to those in the picture but like i said i was simply making conversation and wasn't intending to start an argument and i don't plan on saying any more on the subject as i have better things to do. B)

Mack_attack wrote:

Gazza wrote:
Mack_attack wrote:
Nice report happywally.

cheers Gaz

I didn't say it was a cross breed :dry:

Simply making conversation and was commenting on how the fish looked similar between our winter whiting with its distinct lateral line, and the king george as it has spots down its sides. I am aware that the king george has a much longer, slender body and the spots are quite different to those in the picture but like i said i was simply making conversation and wasn't intending to start an argument and i don't plan on saying any more on the subject as i have better things to do. B)

hey guys relax... i did some research and found out what it is...

its an Eastern School Whiting... has a max length of 33 cm...

the one i caught was about 25 cm....

werewolf wrote:

From Grants, talking about Southern Sand Flathead:

... the range of this fish extends from southern New South Wales into Victoria and Tasmania, thence to South Australia.

From Grants, talking about Tiger Flathead:

... its distribution extending through southern New South Wales into Victoria and Tasmania

yeah wolf ive been doing more research and it seems to me that what we caught was a Sand flathead...

heres the pic of my mate's 43 cm flattie clearly showing the tail...

img2826.jpg

according to the AFN fish guide... sand flatties reach a max of 45cm... which means my mate did pretty well with this 43 cm specimen...

*ive updated and edited my original post with the correct info now...

sorry about the mistakes guys...

tacklebox wrote:

happywally wrote:

*ive updated and edited my original post with the correct info now...

sorry about the mistakes guys...

I hope you don't think anyone was having a go at you. We all love a good "what fish is this" debate to keep us on our toes :)

so do i! never crossed my mind! :laugh:

Ahh that is a better pic of the tail wally! Yeah definitely not a dusky, and my vote is still on the Sand Flathead B) I think the mystery is solved.

BTW - I'm a bit of a fan of identifying weird critters that I catch, and what really cuts your work out when trying to ID fish is a good side on profile shot, fresh from the water so the colours are still strong, and all the fins extended as much as possible. A quick look down the gob is handy too (to look for teeth/telescopic jaw etc).

werewolf wrote:

Ahh that is a better pic of the tail wally! Yeah definitely not a dusky, and my vote is still on the Sand Flathead B) I think the mystery is solved.

BTW - I'm a bit of a fan of identifying weird critters that I catch, and what really cuts your work out when trying to ID fish is a good side on profile shot, fresh from the water so the colours are still strong, and all the fins extended as much as possible. A quick look down the gob is handy too (to look for teeth/telescopic jaw etc).

haha im with ya mate. i keep a photo catalogue of all the different types of fish i catch. hence the obsession with making sure that ive identified them properly.

thanks for the tip mate. ill keep that in mind.(although most of the time the fish is uncooperative. they dont like to pose for the camera!)

cheers

Nossman wrote:

also where was you fishing ?... just out of interest!

yeah mate ive heard it called that.

35392019.jpg

i fished at the spit of land immediately downstream from the bowen bridge, as i thought that the spit of land made a natural bay with calm water to the right of it...

when i got there i was right... the current was flowing out to sea, but the water to the right of the spit was calm... thats where i caught the Eastern School Whiting

for the Blue Warehou and the Horse Mackerel we had a night session at Margate.

the Sand Flatties were caught in the Frederick Henry & Norfolk Bay.

Archived