WARNING _ HERVEY BAY WEED!

greggy

gday all,

went sharking for seven days in this area and only fished three because of the bloody weed! it's rampant and THICK, so i wouldn't bother for quite a while. both the algal variety and the thick weedy stuff. just a disgrace. ruins you when you spend all the time and money preparing and get up there to those conditions. that's my whinge.

greggy

Oztrav wrote:

Ive heard speculation that it is from the dugongs doing the mowing I hope it clears up soon.

OZ you are spot on

I spend a lot of time in the bay and for your exact reason, if I see signs of dugongs or turtles I don't even bother dropping the anchor.

What is worse, If you have dropped anchor ond the dugongs and tuetles move in up current.

Geggy - I feel for you - Last Nov I spent a lot of $$$ getting ready for my first trip to Awoonga and when I got there the dam rolled over and I spent the first 5 days pulling weed from my lures.

But that's fishing

thanks for the info fellas! i also heard that dugongs can be to blame. have also heard that the algal form is so bad this year because of the dry conditions. an old salty told me weed never used to be a problem anywhere, which has me more baffled, and maybe wondering if it is the dugongs. either way let's hope she buggers off asap!

greggy

I know how you feel.

We went up to Hervey Bay for a week for fishing. We had hoped to get Sweetlip, cobia, nanny gai, mackeral, tuna, marlin and all the other reefies.

But it was blowing 20-30 knots all week except for the first day and on that day we caught heaps and saw schools of tuna & mackeral breaking the surface but that just made it worse seeeing as we couldn't get out for the rest of the week. And then on the day we left, the wind was 5-10 knots, all day. We almost cryed.

Archived