Tackle For The Whitsundays

didnt really know where to post this one guys but i thought here would be the best cause its a mixture of hardboidies softies popper tackle.

i was just wondering even though its a while away i would like to start purchasing tackle for the whitsundays now.

if any one has been there it would be great if you could give me an idea of what tackle to take. (hooks,sinkers,swivels,poppers,softies,jigs etc) thanks guys

Hey mate,

I lived on hammo for two years a while ago, the fishing is great but the weather can shut the fish right down.

You dont need real heavy gear up there but i would go 50 lbs braid if youve got a serious outfit, the tide can pump and i think braid can get to the bottom quicker, its not like down here where the fish hang in the water column, its either on the bottom or trolling, invest in some 0.014 single strand wire if you want to troll... BIG halcos and xraps are the go for that, also throwing big red and white poppers onto the rocks can bag the odd big trout. just use simple rigs to reduce the things that can go wrong and you dont need that heavier gear, id go 20 maybe 30 pound mono if you dont want to do the braid thing, the only reason i suggest 50 braid is it busts off easier on corals and that.

All i do is troll on bang a sinker strait on top of a hook and thats it, unless the speargun makes an appearance :)

OH yeah if you want to live bait i suggest gettin some standard bream hooks anf tying up your own bait jig, cheap ones dont last, what you looking for is the fusileirs (spelling) thay are bright blue and yellow, put one of those under a float off a point od ledge and hold on, ive had bronzies breach behind the boat hitting them, mackeral love em too,

Are you boating? and where abouts?

you will probably get most of your mackeral on the troll, grab a couple of 2m and 7m halcos, id recomend xraps but at the price of those you get a bit gutted when you hit a big school and start loosing them :laugh: halcos, blues and greens and maybe the purple and black banded ones if the water is a bit off, gts i would live bait for at a spot calles workington island, just inside the southern point between worko and i think its green island there is a monster ledge there, im talking 50-60 m strait down :ohmy:, we jig fuseies and run them out just onto the ledge, the brinzies move in go home but there are good fish there, i got a 23kg trev in 15lbs braid there. beware of the green zone tho your really close to it there.

reefies you can get anywhere really, flesh bait are best, also chicken breasts for the trout :huh:

OH yeah put wire on your lures as i said, or use 80-100 pennX10 or something.

trolling through hook pass is not bad, youll know where i mean when you go through, also stonehaven bay near hayman is ok im not sure on its zoning now tho, anywhere where there is deep water in close and heaps of tide is good, there are bommies that come up out of the blue everywhere so keep an eye on the sounder. trolling up through hayman and stonehaven is ok too, its not a bad troll from hook outside up to hayman.

Havnt used much plastics up there but my old man lives on hammo and he uses plastics and poppers thrown at the shore in random spots for trout.

you like your plastics so it would be worth taking some up.

If your real keen too, out past hammo and worko theres a place called "the oval", its a rock the size of a football fieald that comes up out of know where, always full of big fish. big big big :P

i'll give a brief trip rundown from our perspective.

first trip nov 2007: trolled up a spaniard, longtail tuna and shark all within sight of hammo (bottom end of cid channel), and all on the same day.

mate caught golden trevs, non brute gt's and coral trout on his 25lb popper rod and river2sea bubblepop 90's (i think thats the size) he really had poppering sussed and is now a bubblepop fanatic. he showed me that when it looked realllllllllly boring u can still catch something awesome

second trip august 2008: trolled up tuna and mackerel off north molle on the trip from airlie and then a shark a few days later, nothing else at all was interested in our trolled offerings for the whole trip. some chick on hammo said it was due to the moon being full. we'll never know????

Third trip nov 08: we trolled halco's deepies(white with red head) and an x-rap(mackerel blue thingo)with 30lb braid and no wire (so far managed no lost x-raps/halco's) and i spun up my tuna on my 20lb popper rod which was an overkill.. i'll go with 12-15lb line next time ..

i used my 4lb sp rod for sx40's over the coral, lost 1 :( and my 15lb abu6000 for night-time bait fishing

upon reflection i'd take more balloons, more glo-sticks, more sx40's and more tequila

lotsa stuff like this http://www.flickr.com/photos/planetfonz/3475648257/in/set-72157612267313549/

this is in november just gone. sx40's and the kokoda sprogs did the damage. you'd troll and gets hits every few metres. pretty much the same for every reef around every island thru the whole place.

centre of next link is gulnare inlet. which was by far the fishiest place with sx40's.. they were crawling all over them.. only issue is i can't see you getting a large boat in there. we scraped bottom and were in a 36 footer http://maps.google.com.au/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Hamilton+Island,+QLD&sll=-27.428105,153.031205&sspn=0.013484,0.019312&ie=UTF8&ll=-20.291745,148.961649&spn=0.056997,0.077248&z=14

Archived