TD sol 4000 and what rod?

c_para

Hey guys, purchasing the TD sol 4000 and throwing on 15 LB braid. Having trouble figuring out what rod to buy for it. I will be using this rod for deep sea snapper, bay and brizzy river fishing chasing jewy's. Possible looking at a 12 - 20LB rod one piece. I looked at the SOL rod, but maybe there is something better out there. Looking to spend around 400 on just a rod.

Have a look at innovator nitro viper 6-8kg. Two piece though but don't let that put you off. About $300. Jones' Tackle at Lutwuche usually have them in stock. I have one as an offshore plastics rod and its awesome. Heaps powerful in the but and great build quality. Aussie made and owned too. If you break it they replace it for $60 no questions asked.

I reckon its easily as powerful as an egrell S10 or similar but has a nice crisp tip. I find most of the egrell offerings a bit sloppy tipped for my personal preference.

Although the egrell s10 has a slightly soft tip which enables you to cast jigheads as light as 1/16th and guys have still popped 60lb leaders on them (not recommended). But if you are going to be using jigheads over 3/4oz then i'd go a nitro or gary howard as their tips won't fold over as much when flicking the plastic. But then again the s10 will be better suited to the river.

just so i can get a handle on these rods how does a nitro viper compare to a shimano t-curve 701 snapper 5-8kg? i'm new to these types of rods. just bought a shimano twin power 5000 and i am looking at a rod to match it to. similar to the originator of these posts i usually chase bay snapper but will be looking at threadies in the brissy river..which i guess means jew are probably on the menu too? thanks :ta:

Tiny Tin wrote:

just so i can get a handle on these rods how does a nitro viper compare to a shimano t-curve 701 snapper 5-8kg? i'm new to these types of rods. just bought a shimano twin power 5000 and i am looking at a rod to match it to. similar to the originator of these posts i usually chase bay snapper but will be looking at threadies in the brissy river..which i guess means jew are probably on the menu too? thanks :ta:

Not really sure how they compare. Not familiar with the t curves but had a go of a friends shimano raider and it was awesome for the money so assuming the tcurve will be better again. When I was shopping around I just found a rod I liked the feel of. Tried all sorts of rods and had the guys at the tackle shop load the rod up while I hung on to it. The $60 breakage replacement is just a bonus. Was also nice being able to buy a rod made by an Australian rod builder.

i can vouch for the raider rods too. my son has one and has done well on it. i'm a bit like yourself have been in the tackle shop trying a few out. i had never heard of the nitro viper (like the name and aussie built) so looked it up. says lures from 1/3 to 2 oz that's a massive range. i find myself casting 3/4 most of the time. i've been using a catana backbone 3-5kgs with a sedonna reel. been absolutely hammered at times so thought i'd go the twin power 5000..well couldn't resist as it was on sale for $390..like c_para i have put 16 lb cast away on the reel. i looked at the t-curve and it had a good feel and fast action..loads up well. i usually like a rod with some sensitivity in the tip. i saw your post and checked out the nitro viper on the net. looks awesome may have a sticky beak at them now. most of the times i've caught squire 3-4kgs the bite has been tentative then bang which is why i like a sensitive tip but not sloppy. does that sound like the nitro viper? cheers

sorry if i've hijacked the thread c_para

dhess wrote:

The viper has a very sensitive tip but it is far from soft if that makes any sense. It's really crisp. A 5000 twin power would be perfect on it. I have a 5000 stradic on mine and run 20lb on one spool and 30lb on the other.

makes perfect sense to me..i'm sold. all i have to do is wait for the rain to stop and earn some spending money. thanks heaps :)

Jones Tackle put me onto another brand, made by the brother of the fella who makes GLoomis, they said they are better than the Egrell rods. Tackle Warehouse has a huge range too, for that kinda money nothing is really going to be wrong, but the pros can ask you more questions as to how you want to use it and help you from there.

Archived