mangrove jack

chrissy_fisher

hey guys i was just wondering if you new any good jack spots around brisbane or the GC tweed area...ive been chasing jack for nearly a year or two, there my most wanted fish, ive bought all the recomendded lures and fished all the recomended spots but none have produced....do u guys no good tides or spots for them???/..

much apreciated....cheers

from what i know they are more a summer species in the estuaries when they come in to spawn. have been told to try boat hulls, rock bars (a favourite for them) and deep in fallen timber and other structure. Live baiting is a hugely favoured technique on strong rods to pull them out of their cover, as are big jerk shads, flickbaits, etc rigged weedless into structure. A mate caught an undersize one trolling an x-rap in Lake Currimundi as well. One magazine writer said the tilsan barra in jaffa colour was the best and most favoured lure he had ever used. Typically, no one had jaffa in the barra size that week...

Hope this helps some

Mangrove jack are prodominatly caught november thru to march smaller numbers are caught thru the cooler months . Nerang river i one of the best places se queensland for these tuff dirty fighters my favorite esturine fish to target.

i fish with prawn star lures natrual colour cherry blood minnows colour 21 or the old faithfull the gold bomber ..

look for rock walls ,over hanging trees ,submerged logs, deep holes and water movement out going tide is best as the water is dirtyer and they can ambush their prey inthe dirty water if u r fishing from boat u must cast right into the snags have ur drag set to max if ur not getting snagged on the structure your not casting close enough ..

live baiting is best after dark, mullet, herring, yakkas and big banana prawns are best . two hook rig worx best with size 3 to 5 sinker running to the hook which i use 5/0 big bait gamakatsu..

minimum 10lb braid and 15lb fluro carbon i use 20lb braid onto a 30lb mono leader and still lose small ones, if u use heavyer leader the strike rate drops by half. oh yeah the seaway has produced my biggest jacks

Archived