shimano stella sw

aichepee

i know these reels are amazing and ive basically decided on going for one. the main areas i fish are the bay, mouth of river and some offshore reef work. atm i have a baitcaster, a 1000 sized reel, a 3000 sized reel and ideally the stella sw 5000 would be the next step. my only concern is that if im gunna save up for a reel of this standard should i be going the 6000 or 8000? fish being targeted will be big snapper, mackeral, tuna, GT, kingies, aj's and samson and anything else that knows how to burn some line. but i will not be targeting billfish or 50kg GT. i have also heard that the twinpower are basically just as good in a much less pricey version. if this is true should i go one of them? i do want near top of line shimano or daiwa. any advice would be great. thanks?

oh, and also rod help. cheers

There is no 6000 on the shimano site for the stella

i would go the 8000 size for the extra line, the drag is almost doubled from the 5000 and you still get a lot of line back on the spool for every turn of the handle but with a powerful gear ratio. It is an extra 220 odd grams heavier than the 5000.

Best bet would be to hit a real good tackle store and talk to them, have a play with the reels and get a good price with a nice rod to match it.

8000 is a fair bit bigger but go the stella 8000 if your gonna get one at all. the stella is still a whole step above the twinpower yet the twinpower is awesome for its price. stella has amazing waterproofing and really loud drag and smoothest drag I have tested. It doesnt have the 25kg drag that it says it does as it has alot less than the 10000,18000 and 20000 but i reckon it has somewhere between 15-22kg

the 10000 it is. haha, it seems my dad is getting keen and we will start to target some bigger pelagics and do some jigging offshore for big kingfish and cobia etc. really excited to start a new type of fishing. gunna have the rod and reel, the boat, now i need the fish. thanks for advice

Archived