spinning this week

bretto

I have been doing a bit of spinning up and down the coast over the last four days and have had good numbers of fish but size was not there. Was averaging about 20 fish a session till this morn when it went dead as the swell came up and the bait dispersed a bit.

Stand out for me was a large leaping bonito I landed of the rocks at the top of snapper. Was 52cm and got it on a 55grm twisty on 8lb with 20lb leader. These things only grow to 54cm so I was pretty stoked. Other fish we got were bonito, tailor, gts and a small spotted mack of about 3kg.

Action was fast as the sun came up but died off soon after which was good as I still had to go to work.

Headshot

[img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/rumbo03.JPG

aussiebass40 wrote:

i love all yours posts...great photography....so were all the first including the tailor and trevally caught off the headlands...do you think the break walls a D'bah would produce..

Got most of the tailor and gts up on the beach. There was a heap of yakkas in the gutters there. you can catch good fish off the tweed walls mate. Cant hurt to give it a shot.

Brian D wrote:

Raw talent - another outstanding report, I would like a few more photos if you got them.

Didn't really take to many photos for a change as I only took the camera on the wednesday after the success on mon, tues. I was just geared up with a rod and a small shoulder bag with the essentials in it as I dont wanna slip in the drink with my slr . My mate has photos of a few of the other on his camera so ill see if he will get em to me.

brett

adambris wrote:

off the rocks are you just blind casting? or can you see the schools moving around?

same question for the beach?

For the most part just blind casting and moving from spot to spot fanning out cast tso cover the area. You could see the schools in the gutters on monday but was little on the surface through the rest of the week.

pinkey wrote:

Nice work, Any unstoppables yet? Gonna have a throw off the rocks for jew?

Had a few bite offs where I hooked up a fish and as it screams off and line cuts through the water others would attack the line as it created a disturbance on the surface. No unstoppables but im working on it!

jackman60 wrote:

have you caught many leaping bonito before are they common on the coast

Was a first for mate. I have seen a few caught but never personally till now. I dont think they are too common for this area but they get quite a few around harvey bay this time of year.

Nice catches mate! The first and last time I went rock fishing, I ended up bleeding profusely from my foot. I wouldn't have minded if we had caught some fish, but alas I still have NFI about this form of fishing.

Do you fish by the tides? Or is the time of day (ie dawn/dusk) more important?

Schmuck wrote:

Nice catches mate! The first and last time I went rock fishing, I ended up bleeding profusely from my foot. I wouldn't have minded if we had caught some fish, but alas I still have NFI about this form of fishing.

Do you fish by the tides? Or is the time of day (ie dawn/dusk) more important?

Time of day of the day mainly on dusk. I like to fish beaches on the high and seaway and breakwalls on incoming tide

84mick wrote:

How far out are you casting? Been wanting to have a spin for a little while now, was there any tuna around? also do you think the gutters will be washed away with these big tides?

Cheers, Mick.

We can cast up to 100m with a 55grm if you put your back into it but stresses on the rod can be harsh. The were a few mactuna cruising and busting up wide but out of casting distance. The swell is up to 4 footish and with the tides it may move the banks but shouldn't wash em out completely.

yoyo wrote:

what kind of setup are you using for these sessions bretto ?

I usually take three rods mate:

TD advantage 2000A spooled with 300m 2lb on a 7 foot 2-4kg custom. (suitable for <20grms)

Pflueger supreme 8030 or Daiwa exceller spooled with 8lb on a 9 foot 3-6kg custom SNAPPED by my mate the other day (suitable for <60grms)

Ryobi fishing safari 5000 spooled with 450m 30lb on a 10 foot 7-15kg Penn Composite Rod ( suitable for <150grms)

Most of my fishing is done with the lighter rods and only pull the big gun out when we spot some bigger fish chopping out wide.

Archived