Tilapia

Jimstlucia

Coming fr4om NSW, have never encountered a Tilapia...have had to research the little beastie on the net.

I don't really get it. OK, it's a virulent introduced species, a noxious pest BUT why is it illegal to take it home and eat it? According to many websites, Tilapia happens to be one of the most-eaten prized eating fish round the world and is farmed all over, including the USA.

Sure, I can understand that Fisheries don't want it returned live to the water... but if we encourage people to see it as good on a dinner plate won't more be targeted and removed? How am I going to infest the waterways with a dead one on ice going home to the pan?

I beleive that these fish are very hardy creatures and that eggs can live in the mouth of the mother for quite sometime even if she is dead and pout of water. So if you gut and scale chop its head off and do whatever it could still find its way into water and start a new colony I think SO they have provided bins for us to put them in were it is guarranteed that no part of the fish will make it back to the river.

also if more people eat them and like it then they will waqnt to spread the fish to their local watering hole

unfortunately their are alot of dumbos who think they are doing the right thing by killing them and using them as crab pots but they are dumb and ignorant

Post edited by: Oztrav, at: 2007/02/14 05:39

Yeah its a tough one.

Quite simply to rule is extreme for an extreme circumstance.

But not being allowed to have the fish in possession it means they cant be trasposrted and stocked on purpose (whihc is what has occured in several lakes like forest lake). While 99% of people with Tilapia in possession are most likely on their way home to eat them, whats to stop the rare fool from simply claiming thats the case.

I think its an extreme rule, however i do understand why its in place.

Angus

I can remember many years ago we used to catch them by the bucket around north pine, and there were a few run in with fisheries, but after a while they realisied that everyone was eating them so they didn't worry about the ppl taking fillets off them and putting them on ice, and i still believe they are good eating if fresh and as far as i knew the way the law was worded it was an offence to relocate them not eat them

Post edited by: slider65, at: 2007/02/14 11:22

Archived