Tips on Mud Island

plugga

Hey Fellow AFO members,

Tomoz I'am heading out to mud island and I have never been there before and I was just wondering if any one had any tips on what to use, bait wise, sp wise, jig heads weights and ect, and what weight rod to use. and what weight line?

Thx

PLLLUUUGGGGAAA

plugga, any 2-4kg or 3-6 kg rod with 2000 - 3000 sized reel with 3lb - 15lb braid will work fine for snapper and bream around the island. depends on preference how light u wanna go. ive had luck with the 5 inch jerk shad nuke chicken for snapper and the 3 inch minnows from gulp in the smelt colour for bream and squire. the best retrieve is generally cast, let it sink (but keep an eye on ur spool as snapper love to take sp's on drop) and then retrieve with hopping motion across bottom. jigheads, i like to use the hidden weights as they fall horizontally and most of my fish are taken on the drop. good luck

no heavier then 1/4 ounce plus make sure you have the heavy duty hooks, any 3,4,5,7 inch jerk shads will work, try along the drop offs that are 4mtrs - 9 mtrs on all side of the island,, try some slow jig heads like 1/6 in the bigger jerk shads, big long casts up onto the 4mtr water and sink to bottom and hop it all the way back, then try the same long cast sink to the 4 mtr water and bring it back into the 9 mtrs with out stopping a slow gentle retrieve with slight raise and fall of the tip. i think you will find grinners for sure and snapper and squire as well i hope, oh and pike lol the best thing about the bay is you never know what will hit ya from 1 mtr snapper , big long tails, mackeral, big grassies , tusk fish , flathead , cod , king fish and all sorts :laugh:

Archived