Lost

hulk

I went down to Bald Hills Yesterday afternoon after work for a flick and a soak.I was there for two hours with barely a bite so I headed over to Baxters Jetty near Shorncliffe to see if my luck would change.I got there spoke to the young bloke there who had caught a couple of Bream so all seemed good.

About twenty minutes in, we were joined by another bloke.Not long after I saw my line moving so got my fishing rod and soon after pulled in a 34cm Pike.At first,it looked as though it may have been an eel with the way it came up towards the surface.Released him even though one of the blokes was hinting towards using it for bait.

Shortly after,I was waiting around then old mate to my right yells"your rod".I look just out of my arms reach to my right to see my rod lift from behind the railing and go sailing into the darkness of the night. :ohmy: Couldn't bloody believe it.I hadn't adjusted the drag from when I tightened it when I left Bald Hills.

I wasn't too disturbed.It was a freeby rod which I got with a Shimano promo at BCF and a cheap reel and braid.No use getting annoyed.It wasn't bringing me rod back.

My wife loved it.She said"Not only do you not catch fish but they disarm you too" Bloody smart arse but good call all the same.I've had rods break before but nothing like this has happened before.

What about you fishos out there.Have you ahad anything similar happen to yourselves before.

I reckon probably a big ray took it but you live and learn though

Hulk

Mate yes i ahve in nearly the same spot just off the bank there near the brige.I was fishing there wen me rod took off nd plash into the water it was pulled up ova a tree branch thenn was found 3 meters out i nthe water.Another accasion same spot i looked ova to see me roos just took off nd was pulled bout 2 meters down the bank then into the water then was never seen again we went back at low tide wading round wit sticks and was never recovered.I think it was a huge cattie as at that time we were catching huge catties big big catties soo that what i think took me rods ahaha anyways.

cheers sean

I was fishing off a houseboat on the tweed a couple of years ago and had a pillie out on a big rod and was fishing for whiting with my light spin stick. I put the spin stick down to check the pillie and in a flash the rod buckled over and hit me in the gonads as it sailed horizontally out away from the boat. It was rigged with a really small long shank hook and a small strip of squid. Whatever it was, I wasn't targeting it.

I lost a 2 week old rod overboard 4 days ago but not because of a fish, it just wasn't in the rod holder properly so when I bumped it over it went before I could grab it. Even though I had another rod with me I was so p*ssed off that I went home.

The next day I wasn't going to let it defeat me so I headed off to the same spot, rod in hand with a lure I had weighted down with 2 heavy bean sinkers and started casting out in all directions. I had given myself an hour to find it. After bringing up all sorts of crap from the bottom about 40 minutes in I could feel some weight on the line but not like a snag. I gently reeled in and out of the murky waters, like Excalibur, up came my shimano rod and reel. I didn't catch a fish that day but got the best catch I could've hoped for. It barely needed a rinse off and now I will be a lot more careful.

What were you using? big bait or what?

Ive had big bream nearly take my light rods at that jetty.. esspecially once where the fish was literally pulling the rod UNDER the jetty.. and around a pilon. this was with a servo prawn at broad daylight so they can be unpredictable. Alot of rays around there too.

I always loosen the drag a lil when having a smoke after hearing stories like this.. its the 3rd ive heard from baxters. :blink:

Which side of the jetty was this on Hulk?

Bluevien wrote:

I lost a 2 week old rod overboard 4 days ago but not because of a fish, it just wasn't in the rod holder properly so when I bumped it over it went before I could grab it. Even though I had another rod with me I was so p*ssed off that I went home.

The next day I wasn't going to let it defeat me so I headed off to the same spot, rod in hand with a lure I had weighted down with 2 heavy bean sinkers and started casting out in all directions. I had given myself an hour to find it. After bringing up all sorts of crap from the bottom about 40 minutes in I could feel some weight on the line but not like a snag. I gently reeled in and out of the murky waters, like Excalibur, up came my shimano rod and reel. I didn't catch a fish that day but got the best catch I could've hoped for. It barely needed a rinse off and now I will be a lot more careful.

:laugh: glad to see you got the rod back, bloody well done to snag it. maybe some rod leashes might be in order? I've seen dog leads used for that purpose and work a treat. they are just long enough as to not inhibit rod movement while fishing.

rod

I was using some large squid tentacles.Pretty good seafood joint at Lawnton.Got 3 poddy mullets,1 large squid and 300gms king prawns raw all for less than 7 bucks.Better than servo stuff anytime.

Hulk

P.S. I don't feel so stupid now having seen I'm not alone in having this happen to me.

Bluevien wrote:

Possibly one of the best stories I have ever heard.... haha. My old man lost the 4hp mariner off the back of his canoe.. So we had to go for a swim to rescue her. Took it apart cleaned all the crap out of it, hasn't missed a beat since.

Scope, my son noticed the rod was missing from the rack the day it went overboard so I had to tell him it was in the shop getting fixed to avoid the missus finding out. I had planned on replacing it if I didn't find it but since I did he just shrugged when he saw it back and said "that was a quick fix dad". So this is the only place I can tell the story and have it appreciated without a fry pan being thrown at my head. :lol:

Travis, if you see a gold Magna with a dinged boot parked at the Bald Hills boat ramp.... the low hanging tree branch won.

Rocket, I will be looking at getting something like that but in the meantime the rods will be lying flat in the boat unless it's in my hands.

Archived