attack of the eel tail lion fish

wesfish

yesterday i went down currumbin with the kids for a swimming day , started at the beach then moved to the creek at the mouth, the kids were worried about sharks so i said i know a spot they will like. so i took them up to the rock pools in the fresh, the kids were standing at the edge and logan yells she can see a fish with a long tail , i ran down to see a great size eel tail catty cruising around, the kids asked will it attack them , i replied no way cat fish dont bite!! :laugh: then logan entered the water ,she got to about knee deep when the bloody catty charged her down and gave her a nice bite on the leg , logan scrambled out of the water screaming it bit me. :laugh: i laughed until i stood in the water and it went me as well, lol then another fella a few metres from me got attacked , this time there was blood , i checked his foot out and sure enough the bloody catty had penetrated his skin leaving some nice teeth marks!! the kids all looked at me and said , "you said they dont bite" :laugh: i found it funny as , i then realised that the catty had a nest in the gravel , one of the locals told us it only attacks when your feet are on the bottom near its nest , and the kids would be better off jumping in where the water was deep and not so shallow. i just never thought a catty was like a lion defending its cubs! the kids still had a great day swimming and all the way home could not believe a catfish :laugh: :laugh: was attacking them!!

I didn't think catfish had teeth?

Hope it wasn't one of these SNAKEHEAD.

They have teeth and are an invasive species from Asia, they will also attack people, especially female snakeheads :(

They are found in the USA and also recorded in the UK as introduces species.

Can,t say if there are any here but we are closer to asia than the US or UK so its not entirely out of the question.

cheers

fishing_hardcore wrote:

I didn't think catfish had teeth?

Hope it wasn't one of these SNAKEHEAD.

They have teeth and are an invasive species from Asia, they will also attack people, especially female snakeheads :(

They are found in the USA and also recorded in the UK as introduces species.

Can,t say if there are any here but we are closer to asia than the US or UK so its not entirely out of the question.

cheers

lol i knew they had teeth , just didnt think they used them to bite feet lol i found out a couple of years ago they had teeth when i thumb gripped a big one and dropped it quick smart lol

i got bit by one in tallabudgera creek in the first deep hole above the dam years ago

hit me on the ankle as i walked into the water so i grabed a pair of gogles to have a look

around and it had another go as i walked back in

silly thing had built it nest on the path through the weedbeds into the swimminghole

Archived