Kookaburra park 9/3

rayke1938

Had a great day. Arrived around 7am launched and floated out from ramp and threw net . One mullet around 1kg and 3 bony bream around 20 cm first cast. After 3 casts we had enough livys for a few hours fishing so motored down to bend near pontoon and anchored up in about 11 feet of water,

Me being the expert ( been sharking there once before and hadnt caught any)was prepared with nylon coated steel trace about 5 ft long rigged with 2 X 90 hooks and a bubble float cast out and waited- and ---- waited.

In the meantime Graham and John rigged up with their ganged tailor rigs fishing on the bottom and fed the crabs.

After about an hour I had a good run but the shark spat the hooks but Graham and John very impressed when they saw the livy cut in two with large tooth marks evident.

Graham then converted to the same rig as me.

About 10 minutes later I had another run and after about 10 minutes landed my first river bully about 80cm long.

After the excitement had barely died down I got another one this time 87 cm long. It had 2 suntag tags in it. ( Yet to ring them with details as the tags were covered with growth and wasnt sure if they were really tags.)

Graham then had a run but lost it after 5 minutes.

Graham then caught his first Bully of around 87cm also. I thought he was going to have a heart attack he was that excited.

John grudgingly decided that he was using the wrong type of rig and changed over.

Graham caught another around 80cm.

By then it was midday so we decided to call it a day.

We caught the first 2 on the last of the run out between 8 and 9 am and the next ones on the run in between 10 and 11,30.

Plenty of catfish on prawns . We caught the last 2 sharks on catfish.

Was a good day only one ski boat and not much wind.

John had the sulks mainly because we were saying australia 4 , Scotland 0.

Graham wants to know when we are going back and even John said he wants to come to get his own back. I suppose I will have to take him or else I wont have anyone to fix my rods.

Ray

As usual I will ask feral to post photos.

Almost forgot two of the sharks bit their way out through the landing net and were jumping around the bottom of the boat, one I gor fairly quickly with the donger but the other one was intent on lunching on Grahams feet. I was laughing too much seeing him trying to do the highland fling in amongst the rods and tackle boxes to kill it. Graham didnt think it was funny at all.

Post edited by: rayke1938, at: 2007/03/09 18:34

New Goodna bypass means the blokes at work will be spending the next 6 to 8 months on the river up there catching sharks and fish (and drilling for all the bridge foundations) - the mongrels! (I dont get to do much field work these days, I just polish the seat of my pants).

Post edited by: Feral, at: 2007/03/10 08:34

Feral wrote:

New Goodna bypass means the blokes at work will be spending the next 6 to 8 months on the river up there catching sharks and fish (and drilling for all the bridge foundations) - the mongrels! (I dont get to do much field work these days, I just polish the seat of my pants).<br><br>Post edited by: Feral, at: 2007/03/10 08:34

excellent the bypass will not take long does that also mean 6 to 8 months it will be finished

No,

It will take about 5 years. 6 to 8 months and they will have drilled the foundations, then you will see in the papers the headline \"bypass blowouts\" because they always announce these things without having done any investigation, and worked out the cost on lowest possible price!

they already have those headlines the cost to \"upgrade\"

the logan motorway exit is the more expensive than what it was to fix the redbank and goodna section of the motorway 3 years ago. Although i' m not sure what option i think it is mere headline grabbing from politicians

I rang austag to report the tagged shark on sunday .

Today i received a tag and recapture certificate with the history of the tagged fish. It was originaly tagged on 13/1/2006 and was 760mm long. I caught it 420 days later it had grown 110mm. It was captured 3km upstream from where it was tagged so does this mean that they have a seasonal migration patten or stay in the same section of the river?

Ray

Ray & Brian: My personal belief is that when they are that big a fair few stay in the river full time. Id wager that that guy has been swimming around since Jan 2006 since he was last caught.

This is only based on my own feelings nothing scientific.

I have always imagined the mother bull shakrs birth them in the river (being bullies give live birth not lay eggs liek some others) to reduce the threat of predation. Makes good sense, live pups in the bay would get demolished by other sharks. Live pups up that far would have no natural predators. Until we came along :)

As i said not based on anything but my gut feeling.

Angus

Archived