Glenlyon 11/3/7

ellicat

Managed to talk the family into an overnighter at GL dam on the weekend. Got on the water about 4.30pm Saturday and fished until about 7.30pm. Wife landed one, me and the two boys went nil. We were jigging at about 12 feet.

Sunday headed out about 6am to 9am and then 11am to 2pm. After chatting to the cabin neighbor fished at 14 feet. Those 2 feet made all the difference.

Fishing was great with all of us landing plenty of yellas. Wife landed a dozen or so and all the boys landed another 18 between us. We kept 10 and let the rest go. All were around the 38cm mark with maybe 5 at 40cm.

It seems everyone was bagging out at the dam with the bins at the filleting table overflowing with frames (and blowies).

Post edited by: Angus, at: 2007/03/14 07:41

post-564-144598408745_thumb.jpg

Good one Ellicat - Luve to heaar the tin lids and squeeze were in on the party. Mine jsut want to hoot about in the boat and can't sit still enough to fish.

I am booking a week down there 23-28 April. What you guys think about the timing? Is it too late Moon and Month?

Anyone have the Caravan park phone?

Which cabin is best to book?

Which boat is best? Tinnie (Electric) or Glass (60HP)?

I would like to avoid another \"shut down\" trip.

Thanks Brian. The kids were happy because they were consistently catching - makes a big difference!:)

Here's a link with the info you'll need - phone number and cabin details etc. You can get single/separate cabins or duplex cabins. Which one depends on how close you want the double bed to be to the neighbor ;)
/>http://www.ausfish.com/bushnbeach/BrianD.htm

The dam is 22km long so which boat depends on how much you want to explore. An electric is definately better for the trolling and appoach. We generally had to wait about 10 minutes after stopping for the fish to get \"unspookes\" from the engine noise.

As for when you go - that's always tough. They can go off the bite from one day to the next. But April wouldn't be too late from a temperature point of view.

Brian we always have stayed in the second cabin away from the toilets . It has a bit more shade than the others and has a communal fireplace/barbeque area in front i think that it is cabin no 2 and its not too far to walk to the shower and toilet block.

The duplex cabins are furthur away from the toilets and tend to attract family groups staying together.

I would take the big boat so that you can explore more if you take the cannonball and 4hp it will probably be at least one hour to get down to the caves area but there are plenty of spots closer to the park to fish.

Just depends what is biteing where.

Contact Brian or Debby Dare 0267375266 for all info and to book. They will also send you a brochure.

Brian is a top bloke, a real old fashioned bushy.

Ray

Ray, We stayed in cabin 3 which is the second furthest from the shop and in the back row and has the bbq out front with the seats etc. Sounds like the same one as you stayed in.

Brian, my missus is pretty fussy on the accom. side of things. She had no complaints about this though. As Ray said the amenities, whilst communal, are the cleanest, most spotless and best you will find. Even one of my kids commented on it.

ellicat wrote:

Managed to talk the family into an overnighter at GL dam on the weekend. Got on the water about 4.30pm Saturday and fished until about 7.30pm. Wife landed one, me and the two boys went nil. We were jigging at about 12 feet.

Sunday headed out about 6am to 9am and then 11am to 2pm. After chatting to the cabin neighbor fished at 14 feet. Those 2 feet made all the difference.

Fishing was great with all of us landing plenty of yellas. Wife landed a dozen or so and all the boys landed another 18 between us. We kept 10 and let the rest go. All were around the 38cm mark with maybe 5 at 40cm.

(and blowies).<br><br>Post edited by: Angus, at: 2007/03/13 09:57

Thanks for the detail - 14' that'll do me. were you giggin plastics? IS there bait there?

They sell worms at the shop there. You can catch shrimp and crays in the dam or try under the bridges on your way there. I was using shrimp, and crays when they ran out. Definitely better on the shrimps though. Didn't try lures but there was a comp going with lures only and they did OK too. Brian at the dam will steer you onto the right lures/sp's. He loves a chat and passing on info.

4 traps per person . When we were there the shrimp were that thick we only used 2 traps . We used to empty one first thing in morning and that would yield about 5 handfulls of shrimp which used to be heaps. Just had the second one in case we forgot to put shrimp in fresh water when we came in for lunch.

Best bait was fishheads from the cleaning tables.

We used to place traps in 3 ft of water in timber in bay slightly downstream and on other side of dam.

Brian will tell you best place. If you place them near ramp area you run the risk of sharefarmers.

It is pretty hard work pulling them out of the weed and the ones in the weed were very small when we were there.

If you are lucky Brian may have some to give you to start off with as a lot of people give him their leftovers when they leave.

Only problem we had with cabins was no microwave so we took our own as we usually take pre frozen meals to leave more time for fishing.

Ray

Dunno about a scoop net, but from what I hear, lately you have to bait the traps behind a tree! handfuls of shrimp in each pot.

I think your allowed 4 traps per adult. But from what I have seen, everyone chicks them in east of the ramp, no tags, no tieing on or anything. So how many you have in could be a hard to prove.

Thanks guys - I am a bit nervious about teh bait collecting but it's sounds like I needn't be.

4 traps each - might just take 4

Scoop net not needed

No TV - that's a good thing

No Microwave - that's OK too

It does have electricity I hope.

Is there a Restuarant/Truck stop/ Pub around?

It does have electricity- you just have to wind the dynamo (just kidding).

I would not say there is a close restaurant, pub or truck stop. Stanthorpe is about 90km away and Texas about 55km. There's a pub in Texas but the Motel across the road has a restaurant that is quite good.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived