Borumba beauties. 14/11 & 15/11

Keen-as-fisho

It was off to an early start yesterday morning, set off at 2am from home. I planned to arrive at the ramp around 4:30am and hopefully try and beat the sunrise. I just made it and arrived at 4:45. My efforts where rewarded straight away with my 1st surface caught Saratoga at 37cm and caught on my second cast :woohoo: This was followed dirrectly by a small bass off the surface, also a first :woohoo: . As the sun came over the mountains the fish stopped playing the game, so whent to set up camp. This morning I was on the water at 3:30am. The bass where on the chew with one caught instantly off the surface :woohoo: I had a rod set up out the back with live shrimp, it produced about 8 small bass and one cracker at 31cm (my pb, not big but put a smile on my face). Which brings me to the highlight of the weekend my 1st legal toga at 50.5cm :woohoo: :woohoo: (I just hope next time its on a lure/popper :P ) It was good to see plenty of wild life, I saw about 30+ deer (admired them in the wild for a change) plenty of rabbits (same deal) and noticed a goanna swimming near the boat. All surface fish where caught on a sammy buble bee.

Got onto a few redclaw aswell with 3 crackers. Plenty of shrimp.

37cmtogaborumba.jpg

pbtoga505.jpg

bassborumba.jpg

The bass where all about this size and proving to be a bit of a nusence.

bass1.jpg

IMGP2117.jpg

goanna.jpg

Go anna swim, swim your guts out! :lol:

Top trip, can't wait till the 1st weekend of December (I think 4th?) back up there.

I've heard that redclaw, like cherapin up in the cape go for soap and veges like potato skins and carrot. They are vegetarian I beleive but most people seem to go for animal based baits like cat food, fish frames or a bone of some kind. I don't know how enviromentally sound the soap is but someone else here could advise further.

Cheers

I don't like to talk about my redclaw techniques much, but don't bother with vegies and fruit, stick with meat based bait and small tins of cat food. As for placement of pots close to weed and timber and I'll give one of my recently learnt tricks away, when dropping pots near the bank away from weed, if theres rocks on the bank leading into the water don't drop them, find some mud! Good luck.

The rockwall near the ramp produces some cracker redclaw, and no mud or weed for a few hundred metres. I believe its trial and error. Raw chicken frames work a treat too.

At least one bloke from work, a couple AFO members and maybe even a mod with a new boat will be there. I think we will have the numbers for an unofficial Toga social that weekend. :woohoo:

Archived