Where/When are the best places to fish?

ANU

I am just starting to learn about the awesome fishing potential that exists around Brisbane and its many waterways, and I was wondering does anyone know of any reliable area guide books that can provide a useful reference to some of the more well known locations (land based and boat), the different types of species caught and what times/months of the year each species is available?

I am originally from Sydney, so to see photos of things like Jacks, Threadies, Macks, Longtails, Cobes, etc, just gets me drooling with envy and makes me mad keen to learn how and where to catch these buggers.

Cheers, Peter

if it helps i can tell you where not to fish:lol: . Basically i wouldnt bother fishing from about Toowoong and upstream till you get to freshwater (with some exceptions). I fished on the indooroopilly pontoon for a week strait on my school holidays and only got catties and a shark. Sure i did get a shark, but there a way better places. i.e. Kooka park.As for what to target, well, sharking has probably died off until later this year, but im sure other people off site will be able to tell you what to target in winter.

Tim

Fishing around Brisbane by Rod Harrison is an excellent guide I used when I first moved up here, although it is about 6 years old it still gives a good insight into a lot the areas although be careful with the freshwater section a lot of the areas mentioned were well before the drought hit (Personal experience of driving to Lake Atkinson and finding no water)

Also this site has provided some great help with a lot of the regulars giving hints and tips on different spots.

Another option although a bit hit and miss is just to grab the UBD and follow the river or ocean back through untill you find a spot that looks ok. Normally anywhere that shows a boat ramp is worth a look. But as I said it's a bit hit and miss as you don't know what it's like untill you get there. But hey you'll never know unless you give it a go and you never know you might find a new spot that you can let us in on. A little spot that I like that always produces...anything from eels to cod to jacks and bream is eprapah creek. Its in Victoria point on the bay side.

Archived