Oxley Creek this morning

Yogogorilla

Rocked up to Oxley Creek this morn on Johnsons rd at around 5 am. Very nice little spot, plenty of signs that people fish there. Plus it looks very fishy.

No luck for me unfortunately, didnt manage to pull a fish. Tried bread, weighted and unweighted, resorted to chicken lol weighted and unweighted. Got rickrolled into snags every time on weighted chicken as i was casting right into the snags. Didnt use sp's at all.

Being no expert it would be nice to go down there with someone who knows what the go is. Will venture down there more often anyway, can only learn by trying.

Upstream there is a lake with a bird watching hide and board walk. check street directory/google earth easy to find. it is popular with those people who fish for Tilapia there are several fishing stations they have set up. Try late arvo dusk they bite better then. worms for bait small hook lightly weighted or un wieghted if you can dispose of them properly if you get any.

Steve

hi mate,

from the city going towards oxley (just passing rocklea) looking down towards the service road, where the oxley creek passes through (there is a small bridge there that usually gets flooded after heavy rain, i spotted a guy fishing there. Out of curiosity i decided to chuck a u turn on the blunder road exit and come back around again to go on the service road to check out his fishing. I introduced myself to him, and his name was Tony ... and also he introduced his mates that he just pulled up into his bucket.. 4 giant tilapia!!!! (he was using 3 rods) I couldnt believe it! Holly crap, i didnt expect a brown coloured dirty little creek to hold massive fish. Each one i saw were approx 3 - 5kg and approx 50cm long! I tried to spot what bait he was using but the only thing i could see was a bottle of coke and some pickled onion... so i asked him what bait he was using but he replied "sorry mate, cant tell ya".

While standing there chit chattin away, i could see huge mullets playing around.... Tony said he has been there a few times and he has caught plenty of carp there.

Does anyone know where i am talking about? There is are two bunnings close together. There is one right where The blunder road roundabout is and the one before that is i think in the area of salisbury? or Rocklea.. The rocklea Bunnings is the one im talking about. Its near a Tyre shop.

Can anyone tell me what bait to use for Tilapia? Might try for fun.. i wouldnt eat it cos i hear its crap.

Oxley creek catchment is the oldest known Tilapia Population in SEQ they were first recorded there in the early seventies I caught some there and bred them for feeders when I was a kid (legal then). They can be found through the whole system, in fact they can be found pretty much in every creek and body of water in Brisbane courtesy of the 74 flood and our "friends" who continue to translocate them to this day.

Steve

Archived