shultz canal 30.3.07

James W

met up with my old fishing buddy tony today...we grew up together on the northside near the canal and have fished and camped there countless times. but as we have gotten older and both moved further away fishing trips together are quite rare...so today we went to our old camping ground to flick some lures around in the blistering heat....took tony about 10 minutes to land his second ever lure caught fish, a little cod...he was stoked to get another fish on a lure as he is mainly a bait fisho....a bit of time had past when all hell broke lose on the poor unexpecting tony:P he got totally hammered by a what we think for sure was a good jack, nearly pulled the little fella in!... a short scream of the ratchet and a few expetives and it was all over!...never seen somone shaking so much ...i think he had shitted himself:P bloody awesome to see what a fish can do to someone.....another lure on and his next cast in the same direction and he was on again!....big hit but a more controlable fish this time...a very nice cod and tony's new pb cod and yet another on a lure....time was running out as were our water supplies so a few flicks on the way back and tony got another smaller cod.....i didnt even get a hit in the 3 hours we were there but i was more than happy to see my old mate getting bitten by the lure bug with some nice fish from our old stomping ground........it was also great to see that the area was sooooo much cleaner than it used to be...no car wrecks or no rubbish at all really...great to see [img size=448]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/ton4.JPG

post-180-144598410488_thumb.jpg

cod will eat any lure, they are a real scavenging fish, and be really annoying when chasing jacks. throwing lures for them angus id be throwing round manns 10's, tilsan barras, get it close as possible thats the main thing, and id upgrade the trebles incase you hook a big cod or jack. i had a jack last week turn two out of three standard trebles backwards, made them look like a hot knife threw butter. lucky the first treble held, i still landed the fish.

look how little this jack is, inhaled the lure nearly as big as himB) very agressive, and the cod are exactly the same. target anything snaggy. the dirtier the snag the better. so in shultz canal, a shopping trolley with aboriginal kids and a box of vb's would suffice as a good starting snag in my opinion [img size=480]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/little_jack.jpg

Post edited by: morty, at: 2007/03/31 12:39

Post edited by: morty, at: 2007/03/31 12:41

post-1075-144598410501_thumb.jpg

Angus wrote:

Nice cod!

Well done Tony.

Everytime i target cod i seem to get bream and flathead.

I know i should not be annoyed at that.

But everyone tells me cod should be so easy to catch.

What am i doing wrong?

Angus

Sigh! I should have such woes...unfortunately, my version reads something like \"Every time I target ANY FISH I get stingrays, catfish, toadfish, or shovelnose rays\" :angry: . I also suffer from the \"everyone tells me the (insert name of desirable fish here) are so easy to catch\" syndrome, although (unusually) whenever the perpetrators are fishing in my company they seem to suffer the Cliffy Curse. Here's a thought re what you're doing wrong - could be that you pick the same times to go fishing that I do, 'cos I suspect the curse may be a bit like sound - y'know, travels further/faster through water!

Archived