Harry Atkinson Reef Today

Beejay

Went out to Harry Atkinson Artificial Reef today and the fishing was great. I landed my first ever wobbegong shark which was more of a dead weight than anything else and when I got a first glimpse of it under the water, I thought it was a prehistoric flathead....lol I put him straight back after a quick photo and some quick hook removal, he was fine after that.

We fished about 2 hours of the run in tide and caught plenty of diffrent species, such as parrot fish, mixed wrasse, small squire snapper, grass emporer or sweetlip which we had 2 keepers with one at 38 centinmeters and one at 42 centimeters.

I must say it was a great day as ive been waiting a few weeks now to find the time to get out in my new yalta craft.

We finished of stopping at king island (wellington point) and had a swim with the dog, then we did a little bit more fishing in Waterloo Bay chasing 1 or 2 small sharks for tonights dinner and The sharks didnt let me down as I caught a nice 75 centimeter Reef Shark to go with the 2 Grass emporer (sweetlip)....Cheers Guys Beejay beejfishn.jpg

Shark is pretty easy to prepare, its all meat and no bones, just the spine bone running all the way through the shark. I normally do it while im out on the water yoyo, if im going to eat the shark it is killed virtually as soon as i get it in the boat, I will remove its head first so I dont get bitten, then I will gut it, remove all the fins and tail so im left with a tubeand then I will remove the back bone which will leave me with a boneless slab which I cut in half and remove all the skin leaving me with two nice huge fillets of Flake.

Depends on my mood, sometimes I will make up a nice batter and cut into small pieces and just pig out on a whole plate of fresh battered shark with some tartare sauce, or other times I will just experiment with diffrent flavours and bake it in the oven with diffrent herbs and spices like im doing tonight.

Alot of people dont like shark, but I grew up in Melbourne as a young boy and spent many a Friday night with my Dad up the fish and chip shop, and flake was always my favorite...Cheers yoyo....Beejay

Beejay wrote:

Shark is pretty easy to prepare, its all meat and no bones, just the spine bone running all the way through the shark. I normally do it while im out on the water yoyo, if im going to eat the shark it is killed virtually as soon as i get it in the boat, I will remove its head first so I dont get bitten, then I will gut it, remove all the fins and tail so im left with a tubeand then I will remove the back bone which will leave me with a boneless slab which I cut in half and remove all the skin leaving me with two nice huge fillets of Flake.

Depends on my mood, sometimes I will make up a nice batter and cut into small pieces and just pig out on a whole plate of fresh battered shark with some tartare sauce, or other times I will just experiment with diffrent flavours and bake it in the oven with diffrent herbs and spices like im doing tonight.

Alot of people dont like shark, but I grew up in Melbourne as a young boy and spent many a Friday night with my Dad up the fish and chip shop, and flake was always my favorite...Cheers yoyo....Beejay

When my kids were small, if I brought a shark home to eat, I would fillet it before they saw it and call it "sharp toothed cod" or they wouldn't eat it. Nice eating if they are butchered fresh. Taking the skin off early seems to help stop that iodine taste.

Beejay wrote:

Beejay the way you describe on cooking the shark is makin my mouth water :S

well done on your catches. Always great when you can catch a variety of fish, different feel, different fight. Great stuff matey :cheer:

Archived