Hello and a couple of questions

1800amix

G'day,

Been reading a bit on the site but thought I'd say hi and also see if anyone can assist with a couple of questions.

I'm new to fishing... well, it's been about 18years since I lived up at Airlie Beach and fishing up there was like going to the supermarket.

So I've started gearing up again, and also bought a small boat to run around the Brisbane river and Moreton bay.

I'm in the process of getting it ready to launch and am now up to the fun part... Electrical .

So a bit of info:

15ft boat with a Mercury 50hp outboard.

From what I can tell it's a 76 model 2 stroke and has a remote with electric key start.

Current electrical: cabin light, running lights, fishfinder, 27Mhz radio.

Questions:

1. battery looks like a car battery so I plan to turf it but I'm wondering whether to go single or dual marine batteries.

2. I've attached a pic of the wiring diagram of the current set up. It seems a bit strange to me and I have something in the circuit that I can't identify so hopefully someone will know. Depending on suggestions of single or dual setup, I guess I'll pretty much start from scratch from the switchboard back.

Pic at http://aerostar.comuv.com/WireDiag.jpg

3. Recommendations on a suitable charging system.

Thanks for your help.

Adrian

Acouple of photos would be helpful. Each side of the powerhead and the mystery component.

If the motor is a blue band merc they are a very strong motor as long as the side plates have been changed reguraly. They had a habit of burning out from the exaust gases and letting water into the crankcase with expensive results. You have no indication that they are going untill the bottom plug drops out and by then its too late .Did you get the service history of the motor? I think they recommended changing the plates every 2 years. If they havent been done for a while or you dont know I would recommend getting rid of the motor for something more modern while it is still going.Its a bugger of a job to change them if they havent been done for a while as all the bolts would have grown into the block.

I would recommend going down to Coorparoo Marine and having a yarn to Mick or one of the boys for an unbiased opinion.

Cheers

Ray

I have a 15' half cab with 60 hp merc 4 stroke. I put a dual batteries in the transom with isolator switch etc, and find that my boat can be a bit stern heavy at times. The second battery is only a backup, but I do travel long distances and stay out overnight at times, so it is nice for peace of mind.

Ask yourself how many appliances you will be running off the battery - GPS, sounder, nav lights, marine radio, deck lights, stereo etc etc, and how much fishing you plan to do at night. Also, work out whether you can pull start your outboard in an emergency. If you do not plan to do alot of fishing at night and can pull start your outboard, I would say go with a single reliable marine battery. Century 500 is a good one, but check it meets the specs of the outboard you have.

Jeremy

Thanks for the replies.

Just wondering if I even need it at all when I re-wire because it only has one lead (positive from bat) connected to it. It's not grounded from what I can see, which is what is throwing me. It's mounted just underneath the s/board gunwhale into the fibreglass just fore of the transom.

Maybe it was set up some other way in the past with the previous owner. He could have had a different battery set up or something.

It all just needs a bit of tidying up I think.

The 76 Merc doesn't have trim or tilt. stern.jpg

The 76 Merc doesn't have trim or tilt.

Well its had it at some stage in its life because the rams are still in situ.

That is what the solenoid would be fore you may even find the olp hydraulic pump installed down the back. As I said before dont spend any money on the motor till you find the sideplate history.Used to be a few hundred bucks to change them providing nothing was corroded up if corroded you are up for using easy outs and replacing stripped threads with helicoils.

Cheers

Ray

Inspection revealed no corrosion so I'll run it as is for a bit.

As a rough guide, how often would you service one of these puppies?

Bought a new battery from Whitworths, (I'm a bit of a wood duck when it comes to shopping and go to the closest shop and pay wood duck prices... not a good habit). I was looking for the one recommended but as they didn't have it I grabbed a Deka Intimidator. Hopefully it should do the trick.

Thinking now about using the old battery for lights etc and setting it up as a total loss system and leaving the new battery just for the engine.

Worth the effort?

Archived