To Braid or Not to Braid

Beejay

Okay, most of you guys will prolly laugh at me, but ive never used Braided line before and wondering wether its time to start or not?

Im an old dog that hasnt bothered to learn new tricks i suppose, but im thinking of maybe loading one of my reels with braid and giving it a try.

I have no idea if the knots for braid are diffrent either, I am such a one dimensional fisherman, I use the same knot for practically everything I do and I dont even know what that knot is called...lol

I been fishing since I was 7 years old too.....lmao

Anyway might be getting a new reel soon, an egg beater to use for medium to bigger fish such as Snapper, Jew, Threadies and Bullies. would some input into what size braid and what size leaders to use on an out fit like that....cheers Beejay

i've never used braid beejay and i catch all those fish mentioned if u r fishing deep braid is great but around the rivers andbay u don't really need it. braid gives u no stretch so u much ajust the way u fish and u need to learn a whole bunch of new knots. here's some contraversy that i have never been outfished by braid when ever i'm fishing with mates that have it, i don't lure fish just live bait with circle hooks or frozen bait

mark

Het beejay if your wanting to go to braid and that's all I use,I would go and talk to boys at TACKLE WAREHOUSE.They could advise you on what's best to suit your style of fishing.I like it for the purpose of fishing with hb's and sp's with no stretch it is ideal for how I fish.But knots are a personal thing and realy not that hard to learn and old dogs can learn new tricks just look at me :laugh: :laugh:

cheers dasssa

thanks mark, I really thought I was all on me own as far as live baiting and not using Braided line....lol And for the record I havent used many lures either but I keep watcing all the fishing shows on TV and how easy they make it look with some of the plastics on the market.

Ive got a shitload of packets of gulps and squidgie baits with jig heads waiting in the tackle box but still havent bothered to try them.

I guess I should pull them out sooner or later and give them a try.

Yeah Dassa some good advice, thinking of getting a new reel anyhow so might just spool one up with some braid and try it out, but will check out tackle warehouse and ask the experts what works...cheers for the advice.

Tomca I agree, I used to have an Alvey side cast a while ago and had it for years and caught many fish with it but some dirty bastard knocked it of from my boat up at the pumicestone passage about 4 years ago and never got around to replacing it.

Maybe while im at Tackle Warehouse I will have a look at replacing that as well.

Cheers guys Beejay

Archived