HDS settings help

goat_man_baa

Just installed a HDS 7 combo, and been playing with it a bit in the shed but haven't been able to get it in the water yet to test it properly. Just wondering what settings i should use, ping speed, frequency etc. Mainly fish the bottom for snapper and perlies up to about 80m but at the moment still chasing pelagics. Any tips would be helpful. Cheers

I have the same unit my self after 10 trips Iam still comming to terms with it all I can recomend is take it out on the water manual on hand and play. great unit but the ammount on adjustments can be mind blowing . A mate of mine Rick Huckstepp has a dvd out on how to use sounders which is very in good also. Goodluck.

flexo wrote:

I have the same unit my self after 10 trips Iam still comming to terms with it all I can recomend is take it out on the water manual on hand and play. great unit but the ammount on adjustments can be mind blowing . A mate of mine Rick Huckstepp has a dvd out on how to use sounders which is very in good also. Goodluck.

Mate I grabbed his book Depth Sounder Secrets after someone recommended it on here. Only 15 bucks from bcf and really helped me out with my sounder. Even though mine is only a budget one it goes into plenty of detail about all the features of sounders.

Yeah fine tune with the help of the Sounder Secrets book.

A few simple tips, run sensitivity on auto while traveling. Once close to my mark and off the plane I use manual sensitivity and fine tune.

I also use the Blue back screen, I think its number 10 or 13 in the back ground colour choices. I find it best for night and day work.

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers for the tips everyone. I took your advice and got the book which has helped me heaps. Just one setting i've noticed that isn't talked about in the book (i don't think) is ping speed. I understand it's basically the rate of signal sent and that when moving faster it should be higher and that too much can cause interference, but how high should it be? I'm currently using the default of 15. Is this something i should fiddle with depending on what i'm doing or is it a setting where the default will generally be fine?

Archived