Kedron Brook yak trip

adventure_angler

g'day all,

well finally took my new Viking Tempo Fisherman out yesterday (06/04/07). Met my mate at the boat ramp at 6:30am and was on the water by 7am. We planned the trip around the tides, so headed upstream with the run in tide flicking lures around any nice structure we passed. Eventually came to a real fishy looking spot at the mouth of a small creek lined with mangroves. A pontoon was tied in place at the mouth of the creek with rock covered banks on either side. Started flicking lures at the pontoon and rock walls to no avail, so decided to tie the yaks to the pontoon and stood on it for a while. Continued to flick scorpions and various gulps around for no success. I then saw an injured herring in the upper reaches of the water so reached for my landing net and scooped it out. Chucked it on a hook and let it out for a while, but still nothing. While standing on the pontoon we noticed a dolphin swimming past which is always good to see.

After having no luck here we jumped back on the yaks and paddled our way further upstream. We paddled round endless bends and the whole way the dolphin swam at the same speed in line with our kayaks, ignoring all other boats. Eventually we came to a great looking part of the river, where the river became very wide. The centre of the river was still very deep but on either side there were like large pools of shallow rock covered bays with scattered mangroves coming out into the water. Flicked a few lures round here. There was PLENTY of bait fish and I got a few hits, but nothing very big.

Catch of the day came when my mate thought he was snagged, but then started to reel in something very heavy... After slowly reeling it in he got a very old crab pot to the surface which had got stuck to his lure. The crab pot had no rope or anything but did have a decent mud crab in it. The pot was full off holes, one end was even open, so I assume the crab had just made the old pot its home. After tossing the pot up on the bank I found a tiny crab and shrimp in my yak which were also thrown back.

Continued updtream once more passing every man and their dog on the water, including 1 boat that flew past under 10m from our yaks at top speed with massive wash. Luckily the Tempo is extremely stable and I just angled the nose into the wash and went over it. Other than those idiots everyone else on the water was very friendly and having a great time, waving and having a chat as we paddled past on our yaks.

Later on we arrived at Shultz Canal and paddled up to a few known fishing spots that usually produce nice fish from landbased spots. Just had a few flicks and decided we should try get some live bait as the lures just werent working for us. Grabbed the cast net and after a few casts had some herring, mullet, butter bream and other small fish. We threw a few of these out but after a while decided we should head back as the tide had turned and we didnt want to paddle the whole way back against an incoming tide. By this point I was getting pretty tired, but powered on just happy to be on the water. There was a sunshower at one point and overall the weather was great.

We got back to the boat ramp at about 4pm, packed the cars and headed off. Was great to get out and try my new yak and I am overly happy with its performance. Its amazing what you can see and do on a yak, the dolphin being one of the highlights of the trip, it cruised beside us for about 2km.

Hope to hit the water again soon!

-nelson-

Well I paddled all day (about 12km we worked out with the refidex) and my mate motored for about 10 of the km until his battery ran out... I couldnt stop laughing!!! He only had a paddle with 1 end too, so had to do the whole paddle, swap hands and side then paddle etc. He did offer to tow me at some stages, but I declined. I could almost keep up with him anyway and as the motor died I was with him the whole way. The tempo glides through the water whereas the inflatable sits more dead in the water. I will be getting a motor later in the year because Id like to take it to a few of the lakes to put it through its paces.

I didnt mind paddling anyway, thats what I have been wanting to get out and do for a while now. It will definately get my fitness up if I keep doin it, and yeh my arms are a bit sore today :P

Will get the photos up soon...

-nelson-

Terry, that pontoon is not far upstream from the boat ramp. Its not the actual pontoon for launching boats, just some random pontoon at the mouth of a creek.

tls26, mate as jeff said have a chat with angus, I bought my yak from him and got a great deal and found him to be very professional with the sale.

-nelson-

Archived