Fishing Tuna between Yeppoon and Zilzie (QLD)..

blue09

Hello all, as autumn is coming in Qld I started to see tunas on the markets. I researched the Internet and I found that a tuna has been caught before little bit north side of Rosslyn Bay about 200meters far from the beach.

First of all I want to catch tuna fishes, I have chance to cast from the beach about 50-60 meters with my rod. And I think the Rosslyn Bay and Double Heads are the best places as tuna likes cool deep and clean water.

And what do you think where can I catch tuna fishes between Yeppoon and Zilzie beaches as I have chance to travel between these 2 beaches with my rod from the beach with 50-60 meters casting range.

And is using double hooked system for tailors with pilchard as bait works for tunas?

Thanks.

blue09 wrote:

Why nobody doesnt reply?

Hey mate.

To answer your question, nobody has probably replied becuase:

a: Its not a very common tactic (land based tuna fishing with bait that is).

b: Where you are talking about is a bit further north than most of the guys here.

So taking these things into consideration it may be that no one with the answer you seek has read this yet.

I have never really seen any land based bait fishing done for tuna.

Locally I have seen or heard of a few caught but this in mainly on slugs.

I am sure its possible to do off the beach at Bribie as the Kayak boys seem to get them very close in. Or see the schools at least.

Angus

Angus wrote:

blue09 wrote:
Why nobody doesnt reply?

Hey mate.

To answer your question, nobody has probably replied becuase:

a: Its not a very common tactic (land based tuna fishing with bait that is).

b: Where you are talking about is a bit further north than most of the guys here.

So taking these things into consideration it may be that no one with the answer you seek has read this yet.

I have never really seen any land based bait fishing done for tuna.

Locally I have seen or heard of a few caught but this in mainly on slugs.

I am sure its possible to do off the beach at Bribie as the Kayak boys seem to get them very close in. Or see the schools at least.

Angus

Thank you, and you are right it s not common but sometimes it is possible to catch medium sized tunas from the beach but generally at deep waters like harbours or channels. And thats right it s because maybe there arent so many locals here online that may be another reason.

By the way catching tuna from the beach is common in some seasons and in some places in my home country that s why I asked here are 2 videos. Arent they nice?

(hope that we are talking about same kind of fish)

/>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbhwldCbxGM

/>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQILCauw2w0

dhess wrote:

Have heard about guys fishing for tuna off rocky headlands by floating out live baits suspended under balloons with a land breeze behind them.

Thank you very much, first, where is rocky headlands? and what does floating out live baits suspended under balloons means ? Thanks.

Those fish in your videos are called BAIT over here LOL.

Most likely tuna you are to catch landbased is mackeral tuna. This is regarded as a poor eating fish. Average size 3-4 kg.

Second most likely tuna to catch landbased is northern bluefin. Nice eating fish and average size 10 kg.

Both species are strong fighters and you will need to get yourself some decent gear with a smooth drag and capacity of 400-500m of line.

Pilchards are not the best bait because they are easily removed by pickers. Live bait like the fish in your video, or high speed spinning with metal lures will give you much higher chance of success.

I do not know of any locations on the area you mentioned. Best I know of is Noosa national park headlands.

Good luck if you go BUT PLEASE look after your catch in an esky as they will spoil quickly in the hot sun in Australia, and also dispose of your cigarette butts in a bin or take them back with you.

There are hundreds of sites on google you can research the above information if you are interested.

Thanks friends but those fishes are really not used as bait, they cut that tuna into slices and it is delicious I think that tuna in youtube video is about 300-400gr or so.

I dont want too big tunas cause I cant eat all and big fishes dont taste so good they loose oil and taste as they grow bigger. The size of about 1.5 times of the ones in youtube videos are typical in my home country and they are delicious either grilled or cooked in oil sliced.

I do not smoke but thanks for reminding. Cheers.

blue09 wrote:

Thanks friends but those fishes are really not used as bait, they cut that tuna into slices and it is delicious I think that tuna in youtube video is about 300-400gr or so.

I dont want too big tunas cause I cant eat all and big fishes dont taste so good they loose oil and taste as they grow bigger. The size of about 1.5 times of the ones in youtube videos are typical in my home country and they are delicious either grilled or cooked in oil sliced.

hey there mate. i am no saltwater expert but those fish in your video's. are they under legal size or what??? just wondering?

Like Yellow Perril said a good land based location would be the rocky headlands around Noosa but anywhere with rocky headlands going straight down into deep water would be good. e.g. Pt Lookout at Stradbroke Island. Probably have a decent chance off the southport seaway as well.

Ballooning is where you rig your bait preferably live a meter or two under a party balloon and let it get taken away from you by the wind and or current.

Some fish species degrade in eating quality with size and age. This is generally not the case with pelagics. Tuna around the metre long mark are just as good.

Mate try around the rock headlands at Roslyn bay,if you don't hook a tuna there could be some mackeral and reef fish about..

Float out an unweighted Pilly and sit n weight,I've seen and indeed caught some great fish from there,ranging from black Jew to big fingermark.

Just be aware of size and bag limits..

Hey mate,

You'll be wasting your time beach fishing for Tuna up that way, you can walk out 300m in places and not wet your plums. :)

Uglyfish, is spot on, Rossy Bay headlands and Rockwalls, Zilzie Point, or jump on the Cat to Great Keppel Island and try a couple of the rocky points around the where the boat drops you off. It's a great spot even if the fishing is quiet.

Haven't heard of alot of Tuna inshore around Keppel Bay ( Yeppoon to Zilzie ), as it is very shallow and turbid.

Do you live up that way??

• 2 weeks later...

fisherjack1394 wrote:

blue09 wrote:

hey there mate. i am no saltwater expert but those fish in your video's. are they under legal size or what??? just wondering?

First of all sorry to all for the late reply,

And unfortunutely yes they are under sized and they can not have eggs in that sizes so the tunas that you are seeing in bucket are just a waste.

And unfortunutely there is no law to stop those people in my country and when I try to warn them about size limits which should be around 30cm, the answer I get is: `if I dont take it another person will take` and it makes me crazy.

No matter there are laws or not I try not to hunt undersized fishes.Im aware and I try to make people aware too if I see size limit challenges.

Cheers.

shaggy wrote:

Hey mate,

You'll be wasting your time beach fishing for Tuna up that way, you can walk out 300m in places and not wet your plums. :)

Uglyfish, is spot on, Rossy Bay headlands and Rockwalls, Zilzie Point, or jump on the Cat to Great Keppel Island and try a couple of the rocky points around the where the boat drops you off. It's a great spot even if the fishing is quiet.

Haven't heard of alot of Tuna inshore around Keppel Bay ( Yeppoon to Zilzie ), as it is very shallow and turbid.

Do you live up that way??

Thank you I tried at Rosslyn Bay and I only caught few breams. Can you tell me other place where I can walk about 300m without getting wet between Zilzie and Yeppoon?

Blue09,

Suggest you target something different to Tuna up there. If you are targeting Tuna at Rosslyn Bay and get bream, perhaps target bream until you get a feel for the place.

Also suggest you simply try a few likely looking spots. Pick a beach, headland or creek each weekend and you will soon get to know the place.

Failing that, try re-reading the numerous PMs I sent you and work your way through those spots and pieces of advice.

Stewie.

Thank you Stewie, I bought a tackle and on wednesday I will go to fishing again couldnt decide where exactly but I will see. By the way last Saturday I saw many people at Ross creek fishing and they were catching some breams ( too small) and flathead and one type of common fish too that I forgot its name. I chatted with one guy who was using a cast net at Ross Creek and I asked him about tailor fishes also and he told me that in winter time it is possible to catch at backside of Rosslyn Bay and at headlands of Zilzie beaches. This made me happy hope that I will catch also tailors here this winter.

Mate i no for sure u can catch decent size tuna land base in hervey bay, i lived there for 22 odd yrs and for the last 12 i have been fishing for them off the urangan pier, u get mack tuna and also longtails mack tuna are around 6kgs and longtails are up 20kgs so try hit hervey bay for a tuna fish

Ashhley wrote:

Mate i no for sure u can catch decent size tuna land base in hervey bay, i lived there for 22 odd yrs and for the last 12 i have been fishing for them off the urangan pier, u get mack tuna and also longtails mack tuna are around 6kgs and longtails are up 20kgs so try hit hervey bay for a tuna fish

1: where is hervey bay?

2: where is urangan pier?

Thanks.

Just try on the headlands around Roslyn bay harbour,if that fails drown a livey of one of the wharfs for a fingermark,cod ,trevs,queenies, sometimes mackeral, black Jew.or you could try the rocky headlands near the causeway lakes, n if that don't work try for one of them huge cuddas or jacks grunter n barra in the lake.. I've even bagged out on grassy lipper there from the bridge

• 2 weeks later...

Archived