old haines

chandler130

Hey guys i am on the market for a new boat again. I am chasing an older model haines hunter about 15-17 feet that has been custom done to a open fishing boat with no cab and possible a pod.

i have a few mates up north with these boats but havn't been able to find any on the market.price not really a problem willing to pay for quality. if anyone has seen or knows of a boat that could fit this mould please drop me a reply.

stay away from pods and haines's, for some reason, a haines doesn't like these pods to much. thats the mail i have heard about the place, mine is on the market as of next week, been a good rig for me, but seriously got to make room for another 1 soon. very soon!

chandler130 wrote:

thanks for the heads up. 2 of mates have fitted pods, one self made of alloy fitted to a 3.9 sea wasp and one by a boat builder to a 16r which they are both happy with. i have been in both boats. but definately a thorough test drive will be in order if thats the case, thanks.

yeah its wierd how some types of hulls perform better with the pod situation and other styles of hulls just dont need improving as the manufacturer got the design perfect and by adding pods your upseting the hulls balance and performance or you'll either improve it.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Buddy - sounds like you're after a spearo boat.

Haines produce the V16R, V17R or V17L. I have speared extensively out of each and currently own a 16R (need to tow it up from Sydney when I move to Brissy next month).

Seadevil also make a nice 17 footer which is similar to a Haines Hull with a nice deep V.

SeydalCraft were made down in Eden, NSW and were created on the Haines moulds. One of the best spearo boats going around.

I understand that CootaCraft are built up in QLD and are fairly similar to this make, however come with a pod. I have heard mixed reports on performances of pods on the back of these boats.

Hope that helps. Just keep an eye out for wood rot in the old Haines hulls. Overall they are a good boat. My little 16R has had Marlin, Mackeral, Kingies, Dollies, Tuna grace it's deck B)

thanks for the info there mate,yeah a spearo boat is exactly wat i am chasin! well was :) pass on the stesco mate lookin for a glass boat bit easier on the back.

guys i actually found the boat i was lookin for found it up north qld just got to wait for my next break from the mines to pick it up then hope to throw a few pictures up.

Its a 445r fully gutted floor and transom and pod fitted in 05 with a 70hp 05 yammy, hydraulic steering, side rear console and front deck.vhf coulour sounder/plotter live bait tank. rides beautifully and comes with rebuild pictures(good mate bro in law). I didn't think he would ever sell it. few things i will eventually add one day ie better storage for spear gear and fishing rods/tackle. and goin to upgrade motor either 80hp 4 yammy or 90hp 4 suzuki.prefer the 90 if can find the extra money.suzuki pricey plus yamaha has offered much better trade on the 05 70 yammy. oh well will get some pics up in next month or so! can;t wait to hit the water!!!

• 4 weeks later...

sorry didn't get any shots of inside, these are only takin on phone forget to take proper pics.

Have bought 2nd hand navman 5600 tracker and a new furuno-620 and a fusion ipod marine stereo but no yet fit up. will put more photos up soon. Lookin to upgrade to a 2nd hand 90hp suzuki 4 stroke. anyone know a good place to look for 2nd hand engines or last years stocks?

Archived