Police find body in boating accident search

snapsnap

Hey guys, looks like no lights again...

POLICE believe they have found the body of teenager missing since a boating accident on a river in Sydney's south.

The search for the missing 16-year-old boy resumed this morning after he disappeared when the tinny he was on with two other boys and a cruiser collided on the Woronora River about at midnight (AEST) last night.

Late this afternoon police said a body had been found and they believed it was the Woronora teenager, but a formal identification was yet to be made.

Police earlier said the tinny didn't have any lights and the three boys were all thrown into the river about 200m south of Prince Edward Park Road.

Sadly another avoidable tragedy,with the 5 deaths of the rock fishos`in NSW last week that`s 6 water related deaths in about 8 days.

I`m sure some government departments and safety groups will look at these mishaps and try to figure out how to prevent these mishaps occuring again and again.

Unfortunately regulations only affect the majority who obey the rules and/or use common sense at the time, you can not regulate for those who lack commonsense or a sense of self preservation.

Sadly none of these were accidents,they were tragedies waiting to occur.

One would also ask why large vessels like cruisers are not made to have headlights? They have the batterys to facilitate them.

Surely they would come to use in a river where you are more likely to encounter small craft and lesser equiped vessels like tinneys and small punts.

The standard lighting on a tinney is fairly small anyway and if you battery is going then you might not be seen at all.

Cheers

the water cops have alread beefed up on nav lights, this will send them into overdrive, unfortunately its about the only thing that can be done. but it is a shame when you get done for having an incorrect light set up ... because of fools like these :angry:

with head lights it restricts your visibilty to see anything coming from your sides and from a long distance in front of you so to plan coarse changes as large boats don't turn fast

hooked_on_trout wrote:

One would also ask why large vessels like cruisers are not made to have headlights? They have the batterys to facilitate them.

Surely they would come to use in a river where you are more likely to encounter small craft and lesser equiped vessels like tinneys and small punts.

The standard lighting on a tinney is fairly small anyway and if you battery is going then you might not be seen at all.

Cheers

what tugger said .

and

old mans haines hunter had head lights .

they where never used as far as i can remember ,more for show i reckon .

now spot/search light mounted up head height on the cabin /canopy .

they get used .

whether it be searching for body's ,boats ,crab pots etc .

spot lights are useful.

boats don't have brakes .

so with out lights they will not see u .

even if they head head lights but the time they see u, its probably to late to stop.

if its small enough boat they mite be able to turn .

boats only stop fast when they hit something .

this i know .

when i was a young teen ,i was belting around in the tinny hit a sand bank .

pretty much a instant stop ,did a super man straight over the front of the boat into the mud .

dam lucky i reckon and one hell of a wake up call.

well no sympathy from me, unfortunately i can see more and mors of these fools on the water, and i would rather them than me.like hello! if they did not know they were to have lights on a boat after dark, how the bloody hell these idiots make it to 16?

no excuses for not having lights these days with more and more accidents due to lighting!!!

Davo_Dinkum wrote:

what tugger said .

when i was a young teen ,i was belting around in the tinny hit a sand bank .

pretty much a instant stop ,did a super man straight over the front of the boat into the mud .

dam lucky i reckon and one hell of a wake up call.

That explains a lot, Davo :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

like rob said its common sense .

light at night just like a car .

common sense is something a lot of teens don't have .

i had some ,but also a sense of adventure and randomness that over ruled common sense sometimes.

but a cpl of lucky wake up calls cures that .

even when i was a teen when crabbing the Logan river .

in a little tinny and little motor ,no rego or license needed .

we would still have a battery or gas lantern on the spare seat running so there was some type of light .

1 so we could see ,but also so others could see us .

Archived