Which Lure?

daveylad

When I was amongst the macks today at Mooloolaba I was casting a small (5gm) slug what I had set up for the Tuna after I had read about in the threads last week, I was having problems due to the sides on the boat but I seemed to be getting in the boil up of fish then retrieving really fast. Was this slug to small for spotted macks I have only caught them on Trolled lures, actually both Macks I've caught were on the same echeap lure from a BCF Barra Pack. I've got Poppers. Slugs and all sorts of Lures anyone help with which one I should have been tossing?

Hi Dave the trick is to match the hatch, that is to match the bait fish that are around. Some times that means changing slugs or lures a few time untill you find what they are hitting. When I was away a couple of weeks we threw every thing we had at the fish, but as the bait fish were only about 20mm long they were not interested in anything else. Another ploy is to let the slug sink for the count of 5 then wind like hell. Oh and cast to the edge of the school seems to work better than casting the centre of the school.

rosstralia46 wrote:

Yer will 2nd everything azza said probably best to have some different size slugs with you so you can change to one they will hit and make sure you have a few in case you get chomped off ;)

so if I stick to slugs I should be okay, what about the poppers should I try them as well?

To add to this thread, How many Lures, Slugs Jigs to you blokes usually carry or own ? I went out yesterday and bought a couple more gear containers for Lures. I now have one for slugs , one for deep divers and setting a couple more up for shallow and poppers. All of them are now set up with leader and ready to pop onto the line via a swivel and snap.

my obsevations have been that the bigger fish tend to be under the fish boiling on the surface, and like previous posts, I cast out wide of the boil and let the slug sink for 3-5 seconds then rip and wind. Even then the little guys are right onto it and might take 4 or 5 hookups to find a bigger fish. I always use really small slugs with upgraded hooks (the ones they come with are crap) when hitting boils. Only the tailor seem eager to chase bigger slugs, the tuna and macks are a bit smarter.

Archived