Lake cooloola/ Lake Cootharaba

Ash

I am going for a little camp around the Lake cooloola and lake Cootharaba area this weekend. Am taking the missus and little one, but more importantly, im taking the river rat!

Has any one fished either of these lake before? I know lake cooloola is fresh water and the other salt, but i dont hear too many fishing reports about either. Is there boat access to Cooloola?

Any hints would be very helpful!

the fresh water lake was a wellknown bass fishery before they stocked all the dams. the area conecting the lakes is known as the everglades and is beautiful. the salt water lake is a great flathead spot but is very shallow below the salt lake is great for trolling or spinning trevally and queenies

Ash wrote:

Awesome!

Jeff: Cooloola, any boat ramps? Cant see any in my beacon to beacon.

Cootharaba, any particulat spinners? dark/light? green/blue?

Mate this trip is sounding better!

dont know about the ramps we allways launched at tewantin and cruised up .

last time we did best on gold halco twistys and pink and blue raiders

Have been there a few times. There's a boat ramp at Boreen Point on the western side of Lake Cootharaba. I've not fished the lake or everglades area but have seen rays in the shallows of the lake. (Which is about 90% of it). The river (and probably therefore the main channel in the lake) definitely has some bullsharks. It also has plenty of pike eel which come on the bite from about mid-afternoon and through the night. In the river just below the lake I've caught flatties and and also heaps of bream. Good luck. It's a beautiful spot.

Ash: Get a chart from a local tackle shop as soon as you get there. As has been said, the majority of the lake is shallow. However there are easy to find trenches and channels.

Id be fishing decent sized baits to my hearts content.

There are plenty of flatties, trevs, jacks and cod in this lake.

Its also one of the few places bull sharks are commercially fished inland. Point being its meant to be full of them!!

The lakes are joined by a narrow river section (stillt echnically part of the noosa to my understanding). But with what a night time mission into the saltwater lkae promises, id find it pretty hard to move out of Cootharaba.

Good luck mate.

Angus

Archived