NZ North Island 4/6/10 till 11/6/10.

rayke1938

Just got back from a 2 months o/s trip so thought I would share some photos from the NZ part.

We hired a 2 berth shower/toilet transit van from Freedom Campers for a total cost of $460 for 8 nights.

We were originally were just going to have a few days in Auckland to break up the long haul from Hawaii to Brissie but when I found out how cheap the campers are in off season I couldn't resist.

We only had 2 sunny days and went through some wild weather and had to cope with some road closures but overall a great experience.

Surprisingly still a lot of autumn leaves about.

IMG_2539.jpg

IMG_2482.jpg

Even the dead trees are still green.

IMG_2492.jpg

A bit hilly in places

IMG_2509.jpg

IMG_2508.jpg

IMG_2510.jpg

Took 5 hours to travel 120ks on forgotten highway. ( Thats the name of it)

Three of us had to do our own roadworks to get through clearing rocks from landslides and snigging fallen trees in pouring rain.

IMG_2494.jpg

After finally arriving at Stratford we then went on to Wanganui. On the way we passed 2 semitrailers that had blown over in the wind.

Next day we headed inland to find a winter wonderland as the wind and rain that we had gone through had resulted in a big snowfall in the higher altitudes.

IMG_2516.jpg

IMG_2517.jpg

IMG_2518.jpg

IMG_2519.jpg

IMG_2521.jpg

IMG_2523.jpg

IMG_2526.jpg

IMG_2527.jpg

IMG_2530.jpg

We arrived at Taurangi to find out that the Desert road had just reopened so we went down it for a while to see some more snow.

IMG_2540.jpg

IMG_2541.jpg

IMG_2542.jpg

IMG_2543.jpg

IMG_2544.jpg

IMG_2545.jpg

IMG_2546.jpg

IMG_2547.jpg

IMG_2549.jpg

Stopper here for a cuppa and then turned around.

IMG_2551.jpg

Camped for the night on the shores of lake Taupo . In the early morning I watched a trout about 2 feet long just swimming along in around 12 inches of water.

IMG_2555.jpg

IMG_2556.jpg

IMG_2557.jpg

Plenty of waterfalls with all the rain.

IMG_2479.jpg

IMG_2475.jpg

IMG_2515.jpg

Next time we go there I am on an invite for a 3 day trip on a 45footer in the bay of islands. Cant wait.

Cheers

Ray

New Zealand has some awesome sceniry. We did roughly the same road trip about six years ago in a hired tarrago. Unfortunatly it was after the snow season and there wasn't a great deal of snow but enough for some fun. The Bay of islands is unreal for fishing, haven't been there myself but seeing photos from dads trips years ago of big kingies, karwi (spelling) and many others is a drool.

Keen-as-fisho wrote:

New Zealand has some awesome sceniry. We did roughly the same road trip about six years ago in a hired tarrago. Unfortunatly it was after the snow season and there wasn't a great deal of snow but enough for some fun. The Bay of islands is unreal for fishing, haven't been there myself but seeing photos from dads trips years ago of big kingies, karwi (spelling) and many others is a drool.

Spelling is Kahawai I'm pretty sure mate, same as Aussie Salmon. Great fun to sight cast!

Top shots there Ray - Gotta love Nz

Archived