Chest freezers

daveylad

Hi Dave

I prefer the uprights myself. Bait on the bottom and fish on the top. Easy access in my mind and nothing gets lost in it. The only downside with a small upright is that you can not fit in a large whole fish. Not normally a problem for me. :P I have this one from Westinghouse upright freezer and I could not be happier. It sits on my front verandah and It is really power efficient. I have done the isolation test with the meter and it is really good. Anyway just my two cents worth.

Cheers Ted

Like Ted said, uprights have got way better ergonomics and not being able to fit large fish whole is not really an issue as you chop them up or fillet them anyway.

One advantage of chest freezers is that they are more efficient as when you open them all of the cold air doesn't sink out. This would only really be an issue if you open and close it a lot.

I have a fisher and paykel chest freezer and am happy with it but an upright would be handy too.

Yeah I know exactly what you mean. Today was nice all morning and that NE change has just kicked in. Oh well we'll be better organised for a serious trip next time.

If you just wan't to keep ice and some bait a chest freezer will be better as its easier to fit bulky things like bags of ice and is a lot cheaper per litre.

I have an upright freezer proberly because it came up at the right price. If you make your own ice out of seawater or salted water it will last longer befor thawing out. Must clean out my freezer so I can fit some ice in there again

Archived