flying and fishing

faulked

faulked wrote:

hi guys im off to townsville and i was just wondering who you guys fly with and what to do about rods etc in luggage as ive no idea what to expect from the different airlines .so does anyone have any advice or horror stories that may help me out

thanks jason :)

Avoid jetstar, wont let anything over 1.9 i think? had to leave all my rods in brisbane on my way to cairns once....Never again! Virgin are ok though as my rod tube is 2.1 and had no dramas with them a month ago

I am going to hamilton island next monday by virgin ,they will take a standard rod tube that will carry a 7 ft rod but we are coming back with jetstar and they only allow 1900mm so i bought two 2piece rods for the trip and have cut down one of my rod tubes for this trip ,i hope this helps ...matt

Yeh there are all the same, I fly Qantas most of the time and have a 3 piece travel rod that fits into my suitcase. But the standard process is to go to check in and they give you a bag check sticker then you go to the oversize baggage counter and hand it over. When you get to where you are going they will either just come out of the baggage courasel or will have a over size baggage pick up spot. I do think that 1.8m is the max you can take but it would pay to check. I have never had trouble with fishing line in carry on bags but have heard of it being a problem.

Archived