Best broadband deals

hooked_on_trout

Currently I am with Optus wireless and I think I get 2 gig for $35 a month.

It's killing me because the limit runs out after 2 weeks and then I pay a lot extra or have to swap the sim and buy a recharge (at present my bill goes way over 4100 a month for landline-never used + exy-excess limit usage rates).

Any good deals around? I mean some of those less mainstream providers.

I am thinking of getting rid of my landline and just using my mobile and the net.

TGP are offering 7 gig + home phone for $40 +$100 setup.

If you have a good deal with your provider can you post what you got and the cost and how happy you are with the setup and service, I am looking for other options.

Or any tech savvy people have any recommendations?

Cheers

snapsnap wrote:

99 fusion plan from optus, 20 gig superfast, unlimited local calls, unlimited national calls, unlimited calls to gsm mobiles.

guys my wife has family in every state spends hours on the phone. and we have never gotten a bill bigger than 102 instead of 99.

ive had this for 2 or 3 yrs and love it the 20 does look a little small sometimes

jason

snapsnap wrote:

99 fusion plan from optus, 20 gig superfast, unlimited local calls, unlimited national calls, unlimited calls to gsm mobiles.

guys my wife has family in every state spends hours on the phone. and we have never gotten a bill bigger than 102 instead of 99.

the $129 fusion plan is the same, but with 50gig and on special for $99/month, free wifi modem, $99 install and $20credit on first bill.

I've just signed up last week to this

Netspace and TPG both have good naked DSL deals. I use Netspace $50 plan, but I think it has been grandfathered and their cheapest is now $60 for 40 or 50 gig. That said TPG offer the same amount of data for $50! The advantage of NDSL is no phone line cost. We use Mynetfone VOIP for calls, which is about $5 a month. So overall our telecoms bills (excluding mobiles) is $55/month :)

I have never understood how they sell the Telstra/Optus bundles for $100+/month. Seems very over priced to me...

werewolf wrote:

Netspace and TPG both have good naked DSL deals. I use Netspace $50 plan, but I think it has been grandfathered and their cheapest is now $60 for 40 or 50 gig. That said TPG offer the same amount of data for $50! The advantage of NDSL is no phone line cost. We use Mynetfone VOIP for calls, which is about $5 a month. So overall our telecoms bills (excluding mobiles) is $55/month :)

I have never understood how they sell the Telstra/Optus bundles for $100+/month. Seems very over priced to me...

It's because not everyone has the time nor inclination to do the on-line degree necessary to understand the ins and outs of comm plans :laugh: ....that and the constant changes - worse than tax legislation :pinch:

have to agree with you Ellicat. It is confusing and the big telcos prey on folks and rely on false and misleading advertising to get people to sign up with them.

H-O-Trout really would have a look at whirlpool.net.au . It is very simple to run a search there. It is the Australian Broadband forum and is a very similar format to AFO. I have been a member for years and is also quite a good forum for IT questions as well. Put your phone number into the search function and it will bring up everything that is available to you. You can also ask the same question there and I am sure you will get some very educated responses.

Cheers Ted

werewolf wrote:

Yes I have been looking at TGP.

I know how optus and Telstra get away with it, they charge $100.00 dollars a pop for breaking a contract, so after you do the math it actually adds to the expense of changing providers.

Have you heard of Skype?

edit:Just checked out the mynetphone site it looks very good.

Cheers

crazywalrus wrote:

hooked_on_trout wrote:
Im on my own atm, not really interested in Optus rip off unlimited for 140.

Unlimited has been around for years for 70.

Any options other than optus?

cheers

are you talking 3g or adsl or cable?

As far as I know cable is more expensive but 3g is basically the same as adsl and adsl 2+

in my understanding of it, except adsl is not wireless.

3g apparently is the old CDMA network (probably upgraded here and there) so it is wireless with better coverage.

Anyone who knows better please post here, I am not 100% by any means, but would like to know.

cheers

Archived